OT-Trading carbon credits

Has anyone else seen the PBS program about carbon credits ?

Some of our esteemd wall street gurus are trying to package and market carbon credits that they would like to sell on wall street.

Anyone have any thoughts on these new wall street products ?

Will carbon credits be the cause of the next bailout ?

Seems to me that carbon credits have no real tangable value.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Some say cc's are effectively a "licence to pollute", that is something that could have quite some tangible value in the near future.

Reply to
Den

"azotic" wrote in news:Ck_Dk.596$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

They're just smoke and mirrors.

Reply to
Eregon

Well, smoke anyway.

CC's have been around a long time. 1970's the first I heard of it was for "developed" countries to provide new and clean technology to ?third world? countries. They did not produce carbon emissions or very little compared to, say, the US. And having hi tech solutions, MAY not produce much carbon. The provider country could then use a portion of the allotted carbon of the receiving country. Who and how each country was to receive it?s credits, I don?t know if that was ever figured out.

There was talk of even companies being able to trade with countries.

I suspect it been bastardized to meet profit goals of a few.

Wow, sounds kinda familiar?..

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Thats exactly what was depicted in the documentery. A couple of wall street wonders were trying to purchase carbon credits from pacific island nations and repackage them for sale thru goldman sachs.

Turning pollution into profits for wall street, but who gets the bill for the clean up.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:43:43 GMT, the infamous Eregon scrawled the following:

God'll getcha for that one.

The Carbon Credit thing is just one more way the liberals do their little redistribution-of-wealth jig.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Can you still buy "indulgences" from the Catholic Church?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

"azotic" wrote in news:dM3Ek.51$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.iad:

The Taxpayer, of course!

Reply to
Eregon

This is a good idea.

No

Sure they do. The commodity is pollution.

Reply to
John R. Carroll