OT-DIY Rubber roofing

Hi All, I am looking into reroofing a low pitched shed roof on the back of my house with rubber. I checked at a few local Home Despot stores and local lumber\home places, none carry rubber roofing stuff. They said "Well....Maybe we can order it in, but..." which only tells me that they will be absolutely no help so far as installation info goes, or if I come up short of stuff, etc.

I did some Googling around on the web. Amazing that there seems to be only one(!) company in the US of A that markets this stuff to the DIY market. At least on the web. There seem to be about 100 or more in the UK, and europe but nothing else here. Hard to believe. Try googling DIY rubber roofing, you will see what I mean.I did find these guys:

I gave them a call, they come across well. Lots of good info over the phone, spent all the time I cared to talk and gave me a quote. They are selling Firestone EDPM membrane roofing, and trying to address the DIY crowd specifically, so they will cut to any size in 5' increments, up to 50' wide by as long-as-you-want-it, at 44 cents/Sq.FT. Not too shabby.

One local roofing place I called will only sell in full rolls, the smallest costing a tad over $600.00 (for just the membrane, extras are, well, extra) with that being probably 3X as much rubber as I need. A few others made it clear that they did not want to deal with homeowners.

The place on the web quoted me a bit over 600 bucks based on my ball-park sizes, but that included everything, rubber, adhesive, termination bar for finishing the edges, the matching caulking, flexi-tape stuff and adhesive for flashing the skylights and woodstove flue and truck shipping from wherever the heck they are. Everything except screws for the trim bar. That struck me as not too bad a deal. I sprang 10 bucks for their "rubber roofing for dummies" (OK, I made that name up) video. He is going to send along with that their instillation book and a sample of the rubber. I will let you know what I think when I get it and have a chance to look that stuff over.

3 local contractors gave me $2000.00+ quotes to do this roof. It is presently done with roll roofing. I have lived here 20 years and have replaced that roof 4 times. The rest of the roof on the house has been fine (redone last year after 19 years, who knows how old it was when I bought the house), but this one dosen't seem to hold up so well. The exposure and the trees and stuff do beat on it, and the roof is very old and a bit flexy. In any event, I would like to do this and not have to worry about it again for lots-O-years.

A couple of questions. Any thoughts on doing rubber roofs in general? Any of you guys done this before? I have done lots of roofing, I've just never worked with rubber before. Any hints, or gotchas to look out for? Anyone ever dealt with the place linked above? Am I nuts?

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks, AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

I wonder if the EDPM used for ponds is same/different formula. You might check with the local pond/pool suppliers to see if they can get the roofing type rubber for you.

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Wondrous Website Design =================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

do you really mean "rubber" - if so, unless you intend for it to be covered with snow or dirt or something, it's unlikely to last a year. If it's polyproplene, I've seen it last up to 6 months in the sun. Why not use real roofing paper (90# felt)???, the kind with white rocks holds up best in bright sun.

Reply to
william_b_noble

Reply to
RoyJ

Ask about "Modified bitumen" membrane. I have it on my 30k' flat roof. You can do it yourself and cold bond or melt-down. 50 years with occasional coating, preferably aluminized. MAGIC!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I had a very small EPDM roof done several years ago by a friend of mine who ran a roofing company. The roof only lasted a few years then started to crack. EPDM seems to work well in a ballasted situation, where gravel is placed on top to hold it down and shield it from the sun. You didn't say whether yours was to be ballasted or not, but the rubber that was used on my roof didn't last when exposed fully to the elements.

Have you considered modified bitumen (torch down) roofing? It comes in much smaller rolls, about $40 each last time I checked. It's a little more tricky to put down since it has to be melted, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty well. It has a mineral surface to protect from UV exposure. If you have any quantity to do at all, I recommend buying a roofing torch intended for this operation. Makeshift torches (such as I have used) are more trouble than they're worth.

EPDM is really intended for large production jobs since it can be readily made in such large rolls.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Butyl rubber and EDPM are both expensive materials and the life of the job is very dependant on the detailing of joints, edges, gutters and penetrations. Manufacturers won't guarantee the job unless the work is done by an authourised contractor. The most forgiving materials are the old bitumen based products which are built up in multiple layers. Butyl rubber is a good material which will last well over 40 years if properly applied to a good surface. You may have to re-sheath your roof with ply or fibrous cement sheet sarking. Get a manufacturer's data sheet and study it carefully. Some good information on Butynol here:-

Roger_Nickel

EPDM makes a great roof as long as it's not subject to a lot of physical damage. It's easy to repair with tape if it does get a cut. Firestone makes a mesh reinforced .045 that's a bit stronger than the usual .045. Fully adhered on an approved substrate is probably the best way to go for your situation. The right built up roof is still the ultimate low pitch/flat roof, but unless you spring big bucks for Tremco or want to deal with heating up real pitch, not that great an option in your case. Cold applied modified bitumen is a viable option. Torch applied is way too dangerous, especially on a wooden structure IMHO.

Reply to
ATP*

Check with local RV dealers that work on trailers. They buy rubber roofing all the time for RV's. May be ripoff artists too! Sounds like the WEB source is your best bet. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Is thus stuff solid rubber or more of a closed cell foam?

We bought some of the latter material that is adhesive backed in 1/32" and

1/16" thicknesses at work a while back for another purpose and I've been wondering if it was made for some sort of roofing application.
Reply to
Mike Henry

Reply to
RoyJ

An acquaintance put a metal roof on his shed / barn by himself recently. He described the procedure to me when I was over to see the new construction and it seemed pretty simple -basically put it in place and screw it down using a special screw with a gasket. I don't know if a metal roof would work for a really flat roof, but it sure looked durable.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

In NY, it's typically polyisocyanurate tapered foam with some fiber reinforcement on the top and bottom. The roof is all figured out by the manufacturer and laid out so the tapered panels create slopes to drains.

Reply to
ATP*

There are a couple of brands. we have "Butynol" on our roof, which is held down with contact adhesive. Another brand is a torch on system called Nuraply. IMO, the torch on ones are better as you melt the sheets together, so there is less chance of a leak, especially in corners. The common use for the stuff is for internal gutters.

Reply to
Geoff M

The proper name for the material is EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer). Yes it is the same stuff marketed for lining "frog ponds". We have had several roofs using the material and have done away with all of them. We use modified bitumen roofing, hot applied, exclusively. It does not like ponded water. Roofs should have 1/4"/foot minimum fall. It does not fail because of the ponded water, but seems to discolor and deteriorate faster and grow mold or pond scum.

DanG

My neighbor has done it on a flat roof. No problem after two years and two MN winters, seems to work fine.

He noted that the stuff is extremely heavy. Not a problem for the roof, but he had a hell of a time getting it up there.

Reply to
Don Foreman