Global Brands

When everyday household products (such as Johnson's Future/Klear) are discussed on here it always seems to cause some confusion because despite being (nearly) the same product different market regions can sell them under another name.

Another couple of products come to mind just now. Windex for removing incorretly applied Klear and easy-off oven cleaner.

I don't ever recall seeing Windex in the UK but SC Johnson produce a range of cleaning products in the UK under the brand name 'Mr Muscle' of which a window cleaner is one. It might be the same thing but then again it might not. Does anyone know? If it isn't the right thing, what is the active ingredient in Windex that disolves Klear that I might find in another household product?

Also the easy-off oven cleaner for removing old paint is not something that I have seen in the UK, what is the UK equivalent or active ingredient in it?

TIA and seasons greetings

Roger

Reply to
Roger Demming

Roger:

"Windex" is a blue colored transparent fluid, watery consistency. I believe the active ingredient is ammonia. Don't know about "Easy Off".

Merry Christmas! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

windex is alcohol and ammonia oven cleaner is lye.

Any household ammonia product works as well as Windex. I prefer a water-based ammonia product becasue it won't evaporate as fast as Windex, giving me a bit more working time if I'm scrubbing at a recalcitrant bit of paint.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Lye? Another word that has travel(l)ed the Atlantic :-) but hasn't been retained in general usage in the UK. I looked it up and it turns out to be Sodium Hydroxide.

Sodium Hydroxide I know all about...and you're right straight NaOH would not be a good idea.

Reply to
Roger Demming