Question (Paint Removal)

Finally getting started on the 1/25 scale '65 Riviera convertible conversion.

I'm not sure that I'm totally happy with what I've done to the underside. Can anyone reccommend a good paint (enamel) remover, should my conscience dictate the need?

Gracias...

ZW

Reply to
Zomby Woof

For enamel removal you have plenty of choices. The easiest to get would be Easy-Off oven cleaner--spray it on, close it in some kind of container; plastic bags/tubs or ?. Wait 12-24 hrs and start scrubbing with an old toothbrush. A couple of automotive degreasers work well also; Purple Power, Castrol's Super Clean. Both have the same active ingredients as oven cleaner, Caustic Soda (lye) You can spend $$$ on the 'special' after market products but nothing can beat the price : result ratio of a home made lye solution. Red Devil Lye (if you can find it) is usually in plumbing sections of grocery, dept., hardware or handyman stores.

Reply to
chuck ryan

Thanks, Chuck.

The plastic underneath will survive relatively intact, or should I expect a little "fuzziness"?

ZW

Reply to
Zomby Woof

Hang on a second here; we discussed this around a month back:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Easy-Off won't affect the plastic. It'll affect model putty, making it cracked and crumbly, but you can just re-putty.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Sorry it took me a while. No. You should not have anything wrong with the plastic. Kits have taken a lye bath (homemade, SuperClean, Purple Power or EasyOff) for 2-3 days and never sponged up. Resin may be a differet story. I soak resin stuff for just a couple hours then start scrubbing. Auto bodies, detail parts and figures have all come out nice, clean and just as brittle as they went in :-)

Reply to
chuck ryan

Thanks again, Chuck.

In the meantime, I painted a piece of sprue with the same stuff I'll be removing for a test run.

Feedback so far is all shold be good...thanks, everyone.

ZW

Reply to
Zomby Woof