USMC M1A1 Paint Recommendations?

Folks, I'm attempting to model one of the USMC's M1A1s from Task Force Tarawa; I've been collecting reference photos and see that many of the vehicles stayed in their basic green (multi-shaded - is that correct or is it a photo artifact? I thought the USMC used a single shade), rather than having the sand overspray. This if the first time I've tried a modern USMC vehicle, and need advice on paint selection. Has anyone on the board done this, and if so, what brand/colors would you suggest? I've got a set of the excellent Archer dry transfers on order, so I think I'm all set for the decals (and barrel art!). However, I'd be most grateful for any advice on the color scheme, or any additional applicable color references anyone might suggest. I'm using the Minicraft-Trumpeter kit I just picked up this week at Hobby Lobby - can't beat it for $9.49 (1/2 price)! Actually scooped up almost all of this "new" series they released. I found the new DML Modern US Marines set last week, and I think they'll be perfect, as well.

Speaking of figures, saw something interesting some of you might also appreciate - I have a friend who collects 1:6 figures ("GI Joe" scale

- 12" tall). Dragon is a big player in that scene, and is doing a line of modern US and British ground troops from the Iraq theater - they make very fine references for small-scale figure painting. My friend demonstrated how they can be posed to match 1:35 figures, and I've got to say they are incredibly useful for painting reference, particularly given the 3-D complexity of modern camouflage, and the mix of woodland/desert schemes that were so common with the infantry in Iraq. Not cheap, but really amazing quality and accuracy. You can see them on the Dragon website, so I guess this probably isn't news to anybody on this list. I was very impressed.

Also finally scored my 1/2 price Academy F-18, so pretty darn good week all the way around. Thanks in advance for any guidance on the color of the beast,

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
Chris Schultz

Many of the USMC vehicles were still in their standard US scheme -- close to the NATO one of dark green/brown/black and were hastily overpainted with sand patches to hide the colors. Some were totally done up right, others pretty sloppy, but the bottom line was that all of the add ons (e.g. the thermal panels on the front, sides and back of the turret) were in sand.

The sand used appears to be the same one from Desert Shield/Desert Storm (NOT FS30277) and at least Testors offers that as a separate color.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks, Cookie. For some reason I thought "Marine green" was a different shade than the Army's NATO green, but the pictures I've gathered do show exactly what you're saying - what I couldn't tell for sure was whether it was multiple shades of green, but now I can definitely see the black as well. I noticed today in a hobby shop that Tamiya has the NATO green/black/brown combination, so I'm going to go with that. Thanks for the tip on the sand shade for the add-ons. BTW, I picked up the Dragon M1A1 "Baghdad" release on the strength of your review. I think I'm going to attempt the Trumpeter first! Less risk if it goes wrong.

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
Chris Schultz