Making a Riviera Convertible

I'm going to build a 1/25 scale '65 Riviera, but I wanna chop the roof off.

Has anyone ever attempted making a convertible out of a stock kit?

Any suggestions as to what type of material to recreate the folded up roof?

Regards,

ZW

Reply to
Zomby Woof

Start cutting along the windshield frame before you cut the 'C' pillars. Run the knife lightly in the channel between the chrome strip and the roof. Do that as many times as necessary until the knife is through. Then use a razor saw to remove the roof at rear deck level.

You can make a template of the boot with paper, transfer it to sheet plastic and coat that with tissue and Elmer's white glue. An alternative is to vacuform one from a created mould. Once again, a template will help here.

I have seen a Riviera convertible in SA_ within the past two years. It was in coverage of a contest. It looked pretty good and I think Buick missed a chance when they didn't design a convertible. I also think the first series Rivieras were the best of the breed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Just spent some time on the French Riviera earlier this week. Lots of tops down and, fortunately, mostly lovely young ladies. A few tourists who just should stay under a tent, mercifully few.

Oh! Wait! You mean the car. Sorry.

Try a basic form in wire with a cover in kleenex soaked in a water/ white glue solution. It works beautifully in 1/72 scale vehicles.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Reply to
Dave Calhoun

Thanks everyone...these are great suggestions. I won't be starting for at least another month or so. Actually, haven't built anything since...well...a long time.

Also appreciate the comments on the real car...I've driven a white '63 Riv with a 2-tone blue interior for 26 years...my first car.

I've often fantisized about a '65 Riviera convertible...either dark teal, dark blue, or dark blue-grey gunmetal kinda' color with a white interior.

Yes, GM did miss the boat with this one. I've seen pix of a prototype '63 convertible...

(Sigh)...

Regards,

ZW

Reply to
Zomby Woof

I had a 1967 Riviera; metallic grey/blk interior. It had power everything including, was unusual for the day, climate control. I seem to remember it had a 460c.i. engine that sucked gas like crazy and, while the almost

4,000lb car took a little while to get there, would really haul once it reached speed.

I bought it in 1971 when we had our first daughter and I had to get rid of the 1965 Corvette Roadster };~(. Luckily, in 1971 gas was still cheap enough to afford to drive it. I sold it in 1972 and I bought a 1970 Chrysler 300/Hurst. With the huge engine it had, gas consumption was even worse and, after the Arab oil embargo I got rid of that as well.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

There's a '69 Riviera kit available and the Chrysler 300 can be had in resin from R&R Vacuumcraft. I read that that 300 is not a Hurst like All American once produced.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Been there; done that. Aurora HO (1/87) body. Whacked off the Riv top and installed an interior, driver, boot, and windshield from a '63 Ford Galaxie. Drove him under a low bridge once and decapitated him. =8^O

As for a 1/25 scale kit, I'd look for a similar GM convert to scavenge the boot from (or buy one from Modelhaus). Other advice on doing the chop job is good. You might consider swiping an interior from a '63 Buick or a mid-'60s Chevy convertible in order to get the 'convertible' back seat area so the boot matches the part where the top bows would fold down beside the seat. Otherwise, just do it!

-- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that

Reply to
C.R. Krieger