Paint question

Hi everyone. Once again I'm turning to all of you for input. I'm searching for what might be considered the most ideal brush-applicable white paint. I've used basic Testors enamel white, with decent results, but never got more than halfway done with a bottle before it got gummy. Next I stepped up to Humbrol, and it seemed better, but it too began thickening up so I thinned it. Now, despite looking perfectly mixed, it won't apply smoothly by brush. The only thing I really use white for is drybrushing, so I'm wondering if white oil paint would serve my purpose better? Another issue regarding white paint I'd like you all to weigh in on is....which one offers the best coverage? White, as with a few other light colors, are somewhat difficult to get a smooth coverage with. I also work with lots of 1/72 scale armor and figures, so you can imagine the area of paint coverage on most of this stuff is minimal. As always, thanks in advance for your input and/or recommendations. Take care, and happy modelling!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Oils are about the *best* thing to use for "drybrushing". Don't thin them...use them straight from the tube. And don't "go cheap". Buy the top-of-the-line Winsor Newton "artist" oils. Avoid the cheaper "Winton" line.

Try to avoid using pure white. A good color to use (on just about anything except for blues and/or reds) is "Naples Yellow". Reds are best left unhighlighted. Paint the area in a darker red, and use your pure red for the highlight. You can use the same method for blues as well.

Just try to remember what highlighting is for: replicating the natural sunlight that highlights the full-sized subject.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Try these

  1. Bottled crafts acrylics from the Dollar Store.
  2. Tube acrylics (eg. Golden; Stevenson) from the artists' supplies store.
Reply to
PaPaPeng