Errors in Airbrushing Technique

Well, I'm down to the painting stage of my first model in 20 years but I seem to be having a minor problem with my airbrushing technique that I hope the collective here can help me with.

I'm using Humbrol Super enamel thinned to between 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner and 50/50. The pressure on the compressor is between 15 to 20 psi.

To start with I gave the model an overall coat of white primer (thinned enamel) which didn't seem to be a problem. However, the top coat (dark earth) seems to have dried with streaks in it like I have brush painted. The paint seems to have gone on evenly enough, no spiders, no runs, no grittyness etc., just some barely perceptible streaking in daylight.

What am I doing wrong, your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Demming

Spray in more than one direction. up and down, left and right.

Regards

Eric Model Building in Europe

Roger Demming schreef in berichtnieuws bfk9ag$fpdvt$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-47909.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
MBiE

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. You only applied one coat of paint over the primer, right? It just needs another coat. When airbrushing, it's not unusual to need 2 or 3 coats before you get full coverage & opacity.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Could it be that you've not cleaned your airbrush adequately between sessions? I'd go back over it again with the dark earth and see how that goes; it should eliminate the streaks.

Are you absolutely sure that the primer didn't have textural streaks to it? I won't matter how many coats you put over that; those streaks will always be there unless you figure out a way to knock them down.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni