Airbrushing Future?

I'm trying something new- something I've read about many times-- using my airbrush to apply future as a gloss coat before decalling. I've used a brush in the past, but it sometimes went on a little thick, or picked up little airbubbles from the brush.

I'm airbrushing at about 12-15psi, using my Iwata HP-CS, with unthinned future. It seems to go on in a nice even, thin coat.

Problem is it is drying pebbly. I understood that is to be expected, especially after the first coat. I've got 3 coats on now, and the finish still looks kinda pebbly.

I assume the problem is that the future is drying too soon, but I am using a low psi, and brushing from about 8-10 inches away. Am I doing something wrong? Should I put on thicker coats? Should the model look "wet" after a coat?

I've been letting each coat dry for a day, putting a coat down in my evening modeling sessions, then waiting for the next night to do the next one. Should I wait 24 hours between coats? If not, what's the recommended minimum? (This is going to take forever! 3 coats, top and bottom? six nights to gloss coat?)

Any help or advice would be appreciated. (You'd be surprised how little useful info you'll find if you google "airbrushing future")

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

I have posted this several times. And I believe others have as well.

Greg Heilers

You're spraying it from much too far away. Move in closer so that it goes on wet but not so close that it runs. Practice a little on some scrap and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

i dilute it a little, 30% or so with alcohol and it lays down nice and flat. 15 psi works fine, too. i give it about

20 minutes etween light coats. ymmv, but i hope that helps.

Try thinning with denatured alcohol. Curt

Reply to
Curt

I was too far away-- I moved fomr 10-12 inches awya down to about 6 inches away, putting on a wetter coat, and it looks fine now!

Thanks to all for the help!

Reply to
RC Boater

Reply to