Painting in matt black

Here's one for the group and it's been bugging me for a while....

What's the best method of painting something in matt black that has decals on it ?

Take for example the F-117 I recently built. I tried painting it in matt black, but the decals go a funny silvery color and don't stick very well, even using the various decal solutions.

I then tried painting in gloss black. The decals went on great and looked OK. However, when I applied a matt varnish, it dried as a horrible streaky greyish mess.

Doeas anyone have a better method, please !

DS

Reply to
DS

Paint your Nighthawk flat black, level the paint a bt with Scotchbrite, and use Solvaset setting solution. Then overspray with dullcoat. Worked on mine - start with a good set of decals, though. Don't waste you time with the Monogram ones, if that's your kit of choice.

Reply to
Rufus

Which brand did you use and how did you apply it, brush or spray?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Humbrol, with a brush.

...You're going to tell me I should of sprayed it, aren't you ;-)

regards,

DS

Reply to
DS

What is Scotchbrite ?

Am I likely to find any in the UK ?

Thanks,

DS

Reply to
DS

Yep. Actually, I'd bet that you tried to apply too much at one time and lifted the underlying black paint. And you did stir the Humbrol matt thoroughly, didn't you?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I've used Future as a "decal setting solution" over brush-painted flat colors. I tried this on little weekend project models (e.g. Series 1 Airfix planes) and was too lazy to spray a gloss coat for decaling. Future works surprisingly well for eliminating decal film silvering. Just brush Future onto the area where the decal will go and apply the decal. Future is a little "sticky" in this situation so you will need to be careful to get the decal placement very close to being right when you first apply it. Of course the future dries a little glossy so you will need to give the model a coat of flat or semi-gloss. I use a spray can for this. And don't forget to mask the clear parts when you spray the flat coat.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

No, he's going to tell you that you should *have* sprayed it. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-) Anyway, back in my BA (Before Airbrush) days, Humbrol matt varnish went on well provided that I thinned it a lot - with *clean* thinner - and never thought of passing the brush a second time.

Ciao Bonehammer

Reply to
Bonehammer

I think you're on the right lines in using gloss black and then matting it down. The problem may have arisen in your choice of matt varnish. I use Humbrol Matt Cote and have no problems at all with it.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Scotchbrite is like "plastic steel wool" - like on the back of a household scrub sponge. You can get it in varying "grits" at most auto-body supply stores in the US; I would think you could find it in the UK as well. The stuff is a wonder-tool for eliminating seams and polishing plastic and also does a great job leveling painted surfaces.

Reply to
Rufus