Painting Black Cockpits - Advice Sought

Does anyone have any advice on painting black cockpits? Do you use a wash? What colours would you use for drybrushing, etc?
Thanks,
John
snipped-for-privacy@thornton3966.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Black then a rub over with a finger dipped in ground pencil lead works for me.
snipped-for-privacy@thornton3966.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Spray black. Drybrush with a very dark grey, such as RLM66. Once that is dried, paint the instrument panel the required colour. Drybrush the instrument panel with a light shade of grey. Then set to work weathering. I mix some Czechmaster "Stardust" aluminium weathering powder with a grey weathering powder intended for the trackbed on model railway layouts. I stipple this on lightly where the boots of the air and groundcrews would cause wear. Use a relatively stiff brush and blow the loose powder off afterwards. After that, lightly brush your favourite dust coloured weathering powder over the whole lot. Spray with a matt varnish to fix the powder. Then use a thin wash of burnt umber oil paint. Finally, dab gloss varnish onto the instrument faces.
It sounds like a lot of work, but I find that it's worth it.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

tried it. cheers for enzo!
snipped-for-privacy@thornton3966.freeserve.co.uk wrote in

Paint it in various shades of black. Flat black, gloss black, metallic black, very dark grey... all over a primer coat of medium grey or some other dark color. Then occasionally rub through a little bit to show wear or texture.
Then cross your fingers. :)
cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

snipped-for-privacy@thornton3966.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Differing shades of black - along with uber washes. Testors Aircraft Interior Black in addition to regular Flat Black make two good base colors; Interior Black is also a very good tire color...more of a pencil lead grey, and with a sligh sheen.
You can also try using variations of flat and gloss clear in places over black - that will also add variation. That worked well in the cockpit of my 1/32 Hunter, in combination with the above.
--
- Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@thornton3966.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Hi.
I use a very dark gray (a darkened RLM 66 can work) and than a black wash and highlighting.
--

AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

I've used the same technique. A true black cockpit is too stark in a model (even 1/32 04 1/24 scale) and, as mentioned, it doesn't allow for any shading.
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been

NOt only that, in reality it's never found. EVen the most black paint gets worn and faded and scuffed.
cd