Acrylic overcoat question?

Hi All

Returning to modelling after some oooooh 20plus years I guess, I've sort of had to start from the beginning again. That being said, however, I've really enjoyed the learning curve so far. A new model shop has opned down the road and I'd really like to support them, but they, at this stage, only stock Tamiya and Humbrol paints.Although I'm sure they'll get more soon.

Now to the point. I've just had my first attempt at painting with the Tamiya acrylics, and enjoyed it a lot, but now I'm stuck. The paint job is complete, sort of. I have overcoated the paintwork with Tamiya acrylic gloss coat.

  1. In order to apply the decals I normally use super sol and super set. Is it safe to use this on acrylic paint?
  2. Once all the decals are applied etc, with what can I coat it with to get the matt finish again? (Tamiya does not have a matt overcoat, only a matt base that can be mixed to other gloss colours).

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Andrea

Yes.

Gloss coat + 5% matt base. Or any ready-made acrylic or enamel matt cote.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Go to the local grocery store & buy a bottle of Future floor polish. this is an acrylic based clear gloss coat that works great over Tamiya paints and is perfect for applying decals over without silvering. Also I mix Future straight with the Tamiya flat base. You will have to experiment to get the correct amount of flat base, the more Future you add the shinier it will be. This allows you to use one material for dead flat, satin or semi-gloss based on your mixing ratio. Hope this helps. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cool idea, thanks!

Reply to