Spraying a Clear Coat Over Decal Paper ??

Hello All,

I am in the process of custom making my first set of decals. In the instructions I have it says to clear coat the decals once they have been printed. Which clear coat works best ??? Thanks

Reply to
FansDC

I'd experiment to be sure,but I had some luck with testors gloss #1814 out of the can

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I've had great luck with Microscale Liquid Decal Film. You can brush on a little or a lot -- no waste, like with sprays. And you can go right back and do it again if it isn't totally water-tight. Good stuff! I've seen no effect on the finished model.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Reply to
Don Stauffer

On the few occasions where I've made my own decals (back in my Indy-Car building days), I found that automotive clear acrylic lacquer worked great, made for a very thin clearcoat that behaved just like any top quality decal I'd ever used.

Automotive acrylic lacquers are still available over-the-counter, in spray cans, in the Plasticote brand, sold just about everywhere. Suggestion: Decant (spray) the clear acrylic lacquer into your airbrush jar, then airbrush it on to the decal sheet. Much less likely to disturb anything you've printed on it.

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

I just bought decal paper from a new source, Pulsar, and they recommend acrylic spray to overcoat images. In fact, this paper has NO film, you must create film over image, and that is what the acrylic spray overcoat does. They recommend three easy coats.

Haven't had a chance to try this new stuff yet. Previous home made decals I have d>

Reply to
Don Stauffer