Which clear coat?

Hi all,
Long story short - I ventured out of modeling and painted my iBook laptop
with Krylon Fusion. So far, good adhesion, great color and finish.
However, I'm doing some "detail painting" over the Krylon Fusion base, and
really need a clear coat over it.
Does anyone know what kind of clear coat to use? Which to avoid? Is the
Fusion a lacquer, enamel, or acrylic? Bah - I can never remember the rule
about which clear can cover which color base! I'm getting too old, or the
fumes have gotten to me. :(
Any help is appreciated.
Jack
Reply to
Jack Smith
future! best bang for the buck.
Reply to
someone
I gave up on Future long ago except for canopies/windscreens. For a clear coat, I like duracryl. Yeah, it goes on hot but you put it on thin at first before building it up enough. Same with any paint, really.. you always lay it down in thin light coats before putting it on heavy.
Try it. You'll never go back to future.
--Stephen
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
what happened with you and future?was it a repeated problem or did it mess up something important? i know that panaceas are nonsense so i would be glad to learn from your expirience.
Reply to
someone
Initial googling gives me stuff related to dental molding. What's duracryl???
TF
Reply to
TF
It's an automotive finish made by PPG industries. You can find it at a Wesco automotive gadget store if you have any nearby. The trick is to thin it 6:1 (6 parts duracryl thinner..not other thinner) to 1 part base. This stuff isn't cheap but you mix up a batch and it lasts a very long time.
You'll find many mentions of duracryl in modeling websites, like internet modeler and ipms usa's website.
--Stephen
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
A Krylon clear coat? Fusion is an acrylic alkyd. Krylon makes an acrylic clear called Acrylic Crystal Clear that does not yellow.
Reply to
willshak