Painting tips for resin pistol

At Wonderfest, I bought a resin copy of Mal Reynold's pistol (from "Firefly") which I intend to do up for a Browncoat friend. It's in three pieces -- two of which are little knobs under and parallel to the barrel.

This is my first experience with resin. I poked around in the newsgroup and in forums of modelling websites for information, but haven't found my particular situation addressed.

By what glimpses I can catch on the DVDs, the pistol has nickel plating which is worn off at the edges to show the bronze color of the base metal. And wooden grips.

I'd like some suggestions from more knowledgable modellers as to what kind of paint would look good on this piece, to give it a realistic appearance.

Any pointers on prep, primer, metal finish (and even copying the look of wood for the grips) would be well and gratefully received.

-- William

Reply to
CortxVortx

Hi William, Although not an expert in the weapon you are trying to simulate, here are some tips - for what it's worth!

  1. when working with resin, cleaning off all mold release is the most important part. I usually soak my resin parts overnight in Wesley's whitewall cleaner, available at any auto parts store. This will not damage the resin but cleans off all of the solvents & mold release oils. Rinse it in warm water & let it air dry.
  2. for painting the metal finish I would recommend the Alclad system, this is a more durable finish than the Testors metallizer line. There are several shades, but a aluminum shade would probably be the closest to the nickel, I would not use the chrome for a pistol unless the pistol in the movie looked like chrome. There is special primer available for the Alclad, but any lacquer based primer like Krylon or Duplicolor will work with it. To simulate the brass underneath where the plating is rubbed off I would use a drybrushed method and a standard Testors brass paint. This will allow a little control.
Reply to
Dave Calhoun

"Dave Calhoun" wrote in news:oi_fi.233314$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.lga:

Thanks, Dave! That's a whole lot more than I knew before. I have a couple of old Pyro plastic model flintlock pistols that I can practice woodgrain on. Next time I'm near a hobby store I'll look for the Alclad.

Much appreciated!

-- William

Reply to
CortxVortx

First, who made it? My son would love one.

Now, as for the gun. If you want to have metal worn donw there are a couple if ideas for that.

Paint the metal bronze with a spray can of enamel paint. Then, using acrylic paint paint it chrome or silver. Use an abrasive, whether sand paper or a nylon scrubber, rib it on the edges to bring out the bronze under it.

I would probably prime the resin as well before the bronze paint.

Ohers may have other suggestions. Other ideas involve use of a salt wash under the silver paint that can be rubbed off to show bronze below.

Painting the wood to look like real wood at this scale is a trick. I would probably try using oils over acrylic brown paint and making the grain with darker brown paint. After it drives well I would paint it with a couple of coats of clear gloss to protect the finish.

Good luck.

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen

Bluepen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lance, thanks for the tips.

As for who made the model -- it's a total no-name-o. Nothing on the box or on the rudimentary instructions.

However, an outfit called Wilco Models from Texas had one at Wonderfest, for about $40. This was also a 3-piece, with the "wooden handle" pieces being separate. I Googled the name, but found only reviews of other replicas. Might try Culttvman's website and store.

-- William

Reply to
CortxVortx

CortxVortx wrote in news:Xns995E511CD9Fwmewatkinsyahoocom@216.196.97.136:

Lance,

Poked around a little more and found that Wilco has an eBay store:

Hope this helps.

-- William

Wonderfest,

Reply to