Pistol sear geometry update

I didn't mess-up the sear! Since this XD-9 is only the second pistol I ever bought new, I had this strange trepidation about improving the design...foolish me! I work on more complex, more intricate, more expensive mechanisms with a hammer and torch. Last night, I stone shaped the striker and sear the way I felt they should be. The OEM finish wasn't optimal and I understand in mass production that type of fit and finish is a good target. The parts would probably mate a lot better after a number of thousands of rounds, I ran one thousand and the bluing or whatever finish wasn't hardly touched. They now have a mirror finish with corrected angles and the trigger pull is SWEET! Smooth and crisp! I doubt Springfield could do better! The front sight doesn't look like an epileptic Jack Russell Terrier pup hit with a cattle prod. I can hardly wait to try it out...hope the neighbors don't mind. I envy you guys that open a living room window to get on the range.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My living room windows don't open, I have to walk out the door (either front or back) to shoot. 30-06 from the front porch, pistol from the back porch. ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

That would be two of us. Step out whichever door and it's effectively a free-fire zone with the 12 gauge - as long as there isn't a horse in the way, of course! :) and better than 270 degrees of "pay attention to where the horses are, but otherwise fire at will" with the .30-06 or the .22 - Not-city livin'... Gotta love it! :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Reply to
Mike Berger

Well, the primary difference being that my "lots of gunfire" (and that of my neighbors) has the bullets hitting a known target, generally with little or no malice. (although there might be a "hunger" or "Goddam city idiots dumping off their unwanted dogs to tear up my garbage bin again" component involved) I'm not so sure that's the case with your version of "lots of gunfire".

Reply to
Don Bruder