Winsor-Newton's Griffin Oil Colors

It's been a week since I posted that I would compare W-N's Griffin oil colors with other oil colors. I threw in some acrylic color too.

The paints I tested were;

Winsor-Newton acrylic

Winsor-Newton high cost oil paint

Winsor-Newton's Winton color - Student grade oil paint

Winsor-Newton's Griffin oil paint

Daler-Rowney - Student grade oil paint

I tested them on glass, stainless steel, chrome, aluminum, painted metal can, lacquer, polyurethane, and five different kinds of plastic.

Bottom line, the acrylic was the weakest in adhesion. Not by much, but when scratched hard, larger pieces came off. All the rest were the same with strong adhesion, but could be scratched if some force was used. Thin coats of Griffin dried overnight.

I did not have anything that I knew to be resin to test on. My judgment is that if oil paints will stick to something, Griffen oil paints will too.

Check the Griffen oil colors here. Be sure to scroll down and see the prices. You'll love the prices and the fast drying time.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

Did you test them on a matte primed plastic surface, also? I would be interested in those results as well; as rarely, if ever, are oils and tube acrylics used on a "raw" surface (at least, in the model-building, figure-painting world).

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Greg,

Please excuse my tardiness in answering. Things happen.

In modeling I am a balsa wood guy, but I understand your use of the matte primer over plastic or resin figures. Using the artist's canvas as an example, the canvas is technically called a support and after sizing it the artist puts on a layer of white oil paint which is called the ground. The actual painting is done on the ground.

I don't know what your matte primer is composed of. If it is lacquer based then my test showed that alkyd paint sticks to it just fine. If it is polyurethane, my test covered that. That leaves acrylic and the only thing I have at the moment is Krylon clear. I do all sprayng outdoors and the temperature is supposed to go up the next few days so I will spray it on something and test the Griffin colors on it.

Two interesting things about alkyd. Clear polyurethane varnish is actually an alkyd varnish to which some urethane has been added to toughen it. It's used on floors a lot. The urethane gives the finish a plastic like look so clear alkyd varnish is the choice of many fine woodworkers.

If you go in a paint store and read the labels of oil based paints, the odds are almost 100 to 1 that they are actually alkyd based. Alkyd has replaced linseed oil in nearly all oil based paints. It is being used over all kinds of old paint, both interior and exterior.

I'll be back after testing the Krylon.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

Thanks. Gilbert Moreno, friend, and fellow figure artist from just south of here, (he resides in San Antonio) has been using the Alkyds for quite some time now, with spectacular results. I have been tempted, but the relatively quick drying time has been a deterent for me, as I am a SLOOOWWWW painter...lol.

Gilbert uses the alkyds for some things, and Vallejo acrylics for others. Here is a sample of one of his pieces. It has won a Gold just about everywhere, as well as winning "Best of Show" at our last Austin AMPS show. This is his "Inquisitor" in about 80mm scale:

down to lower part of page)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Greg,

I looked at every picture. Very impressive! Very impressive indeed. I had no idea that this level of work was being done. I had seen some displays in hobby shops that had painted figures, but never any like these. I was particularly impressed with many of the faces. Very much like portrait painting.

I think the questions about using alkyd paint has been settled, so I'm not going to test the Krylon.If you're friend is using it and doing that kind of work I am satisfied. I still think the Griffin oils are a good way for someone like the original poster to start with. Cheaper and fast drying can be an asset to them and perhaps they will move on to higher quality materials as their skills improve.

I'm going to post a couple photos of my hobby painting on the binary page for you to see. Please take a look.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley