laying acrylics over enamels or vice versa

I was poking around the aircraft resource center site and read an article on Tamiya acrylics. It mentioned not spraying acrylics directly over a solvent-based coat (enamels), but didn't say why. I don't use Tamiya paint very often, I use MM almost exclusively, enamel and acrylic. I'm probably doing things wrong due to inexperience, but I tend to use enamels and acrylics rather randomly. I obviously don't mix the two, but, for example, in doing an aircraft camo scheme, the base color might be either acrylic or enamel, the next overlaying color either, and so on, based solely on color needs and what I have in the drawer, regardless of paint type. Now maybe I've misread some posts here regarding this procedure; it doesn't appear uncommon, but I've encountered problems, particularly with washes and masking. 1. With conflicting paint bases, what do you use for a wash solvent? 2. For masking, I use tape when I can--I also like the versatility of the liquids, but.... The one liquid frisket I've used, "Incredible White Mask" is ammonia based and will eat the acrylics, but not the enamels. I also have Ambroid EZ Mask, but haven't tried it for fear of ruining yet another paint job. My modeling time is very tight and I don't have the extra for experimenting. Any thoughts?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

The rule of thumb to which I've subscribed has been lacquers under enamels under acrylics. Given each sufficient drying/curing time, I've never had a problem with this order.

What I always use is a gloss cote over the color coats to support the washes (they go on better over gloss finishes). If I use enamels or lacquers, I usually use Floquil Crystal Cote. For acrylics, I use Future or Polly Scale gloss finish. I've also used Crystal Cote over acrylics when they're good and dry - over a week of drying time. Just hit it like you would any gloss finish - building up the finish.

liquids, but.... The

Again, the paint carrier will dictate the gloss coat. Years ago, I dorked-up a Monogram A-4E with Microscale's liquid mask over Polly S acrylics (a mistake I never made again) but the same mask works fine over a gloss enamel or lacquer. Some experimentation might be in order but the above-mentioned rule has worked for me without fail.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Urban legend, born out of the fact that _early_ acrylics could be damaged by cellulose-based paints or by turpentine. Seldom a problem now, as long as you wait enough for the acrylic resin to cure completely

- anywhere from 6 to 24 hours, depending on the manufacturer. You can safely double that time for an acrylic clear gloss.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

I have to reply to this thread.

I use Testors flat gray primer or OD green as a base on almost all my models. Over that I have put a variety of paints, including a variety of acrylics of various type, from craft acrylics to Tamiya and never had a problem. I almost always wait 24 hours before doing this.

Another thing I do is put down a coat of clear flat over the acrylics before a wash, again something I have never head trouble with.

I also use the flat gray primer on figures, over which I have painted with oils numerous times. Again, no problem; the oils seem to attach just fine to the primer.

Now, that does not mean there are no possible problems. I have just not seen any.

Lance

Reply to
Lance Mertz

No kidding? I thought the Microscale mask was fairly innocuous but I can't recall using it over acrylics. Thanks for the heads up. Cheeers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I've had the same problem with it..... Now I only use it with oil based, and then only when there is nothing else usable for me.

Reply to
AM

My 2 cents worth.

I generally undercoat with a Humbrol or Revell light grey enamel paint (as the enamel seems to stick to the virgin plastic better than acrylic). Depending on the required colour and what I have in my paint stash, the top coat can be any of the following.

MM Acryl Tamiya Acrylic Humbrol/Revell enamels

I then seal with Future, wash/weather and then seal with Humbrol flat clear (a lacquer) or MM Satin (an acrylic).

I leave at least 24 hours between coats and have never had problems with paint cracking or pealing.

YMMV Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

Yes, the Microscale mask can cause some problems over acrylic paint: I think the problem is it bonds too well to the paint and so when you remove it you can damage the underlying paint (if I'm not wrong the label suggest to use it only over enamel paint).

Anyway, usually there are no problems in using enamel over acrylic or vice versa, as long as they are fully cured. Of course there are exceptions. Some brands are incompatible with others, so you'd better test on a scrap model before using it on your latest masterpiece.

I experienced some compatibility problems between Polly S clean coats and enamel thinner (it weakens the paint, so especially during a wash you could ruin the paintjob) and found that both Polly S clearcoat (mainly the flat) and Future can crack underlying Gunze paint.

I experienced also some problems while spraying gunze flat over tamiya gloss paint (but it was an old bottle, so that could have been the problem).

My 0.02

Reply to
Yuri

Oops, I meant Polly Scale, not Polly S