Silly putty and Tamiya Sray paint?

I just tried my first silly putty masking. I painted the first coat of Olive Drab, then put on silly putty. My lext layer was Tamiya Dark Yellow. I think this is a laquer based paint... I let dry then started taking off the silly putty, which was now "melting" or at least becoming almost fluid. I used the silly putty I had left to "grab" the putty on the tank. It worked.

My question is: does this always happen with this kind of paint over silly putty?

Thanks... by the way, the stuff worked great!!

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen

While the Tamiya paint is called "lacquer", it is an acrylic lacquer, not a cellulose lacquer. It has a wierd solvent.

Also, a surprise and disappointment to me, many brands of auto touch- up paint are now acrylic lacquer, not the other stuff. One cannot use normal solvent enamels over it. Used to be you could use enamel over lacquer, but not vis versa. All the rules are going out the window now that we have acrylic lacquers and acrylic enamels, many of which are not labeled as acrylic but really are.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Bluepen wrote in news:r3vs43dotaspkcbv8c2vvteri6jn0ajpk3 @4ax.com:

I did not have a problem with this method. I used Tamiya AS prefix paints for a Spitfire.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost