yellow stripes on model bombs

What is everyone's preferred(best suggestion) on how to get good clean yellow stripe(s) around the nose of a scale bomb ? is there a website that has an article on how to do it neatly ? I have tried various methods and only when the kit suppies a decal do they come out looking ok.

Thank you,

Michael

Reply to
mik21usa

Paint it yellow first, then get some of that tape used for white boards (comes in different widths). Wrap that around where you want the yellow stripe, then overspray with OD.

Good luck ..

Reply to
Allan K. Lindsay-O'Neal

graphic arts shops sell some incredibly thin border tape. there is a good yellow that softens in decal setting solution and snuggles down. don't remember the brand name, but a $3 roll has lasted me

22 years so far.

Paint a yellow ground first then either use a metal washer,sized so it fits over the nose of the bomb or drill a hole in a piece of scrap plastic. then paint the OD . if you're airbrushing reduce the pressure so it doesn't blow the paint under the mask. If you're brush painting use a lightly loaded brush and carefully touch in either side of the mask.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Michael,

I just happen to be painting bombs for a 1/27nd scale A-7D. Heres what I do that has yeilded excellent results. First I airbrush the yellow color on the bombs where the yellow band will be. Next; after letting the paint dry for several hours I cut thin strips of Tamiya tape to the approx with of the color band and apply it where the band is supposed to be on the bomb. I burnish the tape slightly to minimize the chance of paint bleed. Finally I airbrush the bomb color; usually Flat Olive Drab for US and NATO ordinance. When the paint is dry I use a tweezers to carefully remove the tape, reveiling the perfect color bands. This works for missles as well! Happy modelling!

Greg Williams

"Gregs 1/72nd Scale Modern Jets"

Greg Williams

Monorgam-Pro Modeler released a set of ordenance decals to include bombs at least in 1/72 nd scale. They include all stenciling and stripes.

U.S. WW II and Korea bomb and rocket markings in 1/72nd scale p/n: 88101500200

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

You can also take a piece of paper and wrap it into a tube shape the size of the ordnance, slip the ordnance into the paper tube and use that as the mask.

Reply to
Kilowatt

What does the yellow Band Signify ??

regards Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

it's mutagenic and will turn the recipients into col saunders?

They indicate a bomb filled with high explosives. Blue bands indicate an inert (training) weapon (bombs & missiles). On the inert ones, some weapons are painted completely blue. I forget the other colors but there are a number of them. HTH.

Ed "If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you; and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with him." --Barry Goldwater

Reply to
RobbelothE

"Ron" wrote

To refine that: Yellow means high explosives (supersonic detonating velocity) while brown (formerly red) means low explosives. For awhile, there were multiple or interrupted yellow bands indicating TNT, Composition B, Tetrytol, or what have you, plus I believe the Navy used/uses multiple bands to indicate thermally protected bombs.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin
1 yellow band: MK-80 bomb family 2 yellow bands: MK-80 series with thermal protective coating. 3 yellow bands: BLU-110/111 bomb series. (same casing as MK-80 series with more powerful explosive; so your Mk-80 series of model weapons will work just fine.) Here's a great site for aviation weapons:
HTH! RJ
Reply to
RJ Tucker

Thanks to all those that answered my question ref what it signified.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

"RJ Tucker" wrote in news:_filc.2988$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Wow. Read the section on historical mishaps. Some of you fellers are in a dangerous business even when someone isn't trying to kill you.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"If you see me running, you better keep up..."

Vern USAF/ANG 46250/2W170 for 14+ years

Reply to
Vernon Clark

green and red band it means chemical or even nastier stuff on board, but then later 'sources' said this was represented by a white band. Any body know the answer? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

"Mike Keown" wrote

Green bands (on a gray body) indicate chemical munitions, red was incendiary. White does not have significance.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

It should be.... If you see me running, you'll never be able to catch up :)

Azzz1588