RFI - Painting CN Geeps

As I mentioned before, I have these old N-scale Kato GP-9's with the fake frames. Now that I know JnJ has a correction kit, I'm thinking maybe it's better to upgrade than trade them in. (I don't think EMD will give me much)

I'd like to paint them AC, but this is a first effort, and I just know I'd mess up a scheme that complicated. Besides, where are the decals? I'm not hand-painting little bears....

So, I thought I'd do them as CN. One is already CN green, the other two are PRR black, so if I remove the lettering, paint the noses red, and slap on some CN decals, I should have a decent 3-engine consist.

Questions then arise.

In some photos, I see a cover on the long hood and spark arrestors on the exhaust. How common were these? Were the covers removed in summer?

The winter windows are always there, or did they come off in summer? Both sides, or just the engineer's?

The steps have what appear to be half-height kick-plates, whereas the units I have are see-through. Were they all like that?

I notice some units ran long nose first. Was this an early practice? If so, when did it change? Or was it a dual control situation for branchlines with no wye?

The safety stripe is white on some units, and yellow on others. When did yellow come in? Would a white striped unit survive into the 80's? And when were the last of the green units seen? I seem to recall a few in the early 70's, but I'm not so sure. Can I get away with it in the early 80's - on a branchline say - or is that pushing it?

Finally, why all the variations? Some of these units are solid black with red ends. Some have red cabs with zebra stripes running in either direction. Some have red cabs, no stripes, black cabs with red doors, and on and on. Was this a question of how much of a rush they were in, was it a shop or regional signature, or did they just have trouble making up their minds?

I've also seen all-red geeps with white cabs. Was this a test scheme, or a passenger variation?

I guess there's a website for this stuff right?

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

cover is a winterization hatch that returns warm air back to the engine room. most photos I have seen GP9 have them for CN. the spark arrestors are CN's unique type. the SW1200RS and GMD-1 they use have them also. Sunrise Enterprise makes them for N scale, I have some on my home road Geeps and SW9, and may if I can put them on my new MP15DC once I spend some time looking at it.

CN ran its Geeps when new Long Hood forward. I have a Photo of a SW1200RS in the green and gold out west and it is sometime after VIA came about IIRC it is dated 1977. Not sure about other units.

I have never seen the Geeps in the all read white cab and I think you might be talking about the RS-10 they used for Tempo Passenger Service.

Reply to
allenby

Assuming you mean the winterization hatch, all CN GP-7/9 engines had them. In the summer the screened portion on top was open, in winter it could be closed. It was not removed unless the fan needed to be replaced. The cylindrical spark arrestors were universal after the first couple of years. I think Details by Eric makes both parts in N scale.

This varied but usually only the engineers side had them, but not all engines had them. Again they stayed on all year unless removed for other reasons.

?

All GN GP-7/9 were delivered to run long hood forward. Only later, after complete rebuilds and chop noses were they set up to run short hood forward.

Original Red/Black (actually CN grey #11.

'Scotchlite' reflective material. Later than above

Last ones I saw were three SW1200RS units assigned to Edmonton ca 1969 but I know others lasted longer. Look for photos.

First CN 'worm' scheme after the Green/yellow/black.

'Sergeant stripes' scheme.

Tempo train RS-18s. Ontario only

Mountain Goat

Got it. Thanks for the info.

I guess the switchers lasted longer in green than the road units. That's probably what I remember seeing in Calgary, circa 70/71

Yes indeed, you're right. The hazard of relying on memory.

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

Maybe back-plate is a better term? Now that I look a little closer, I see the Kato model has a tiny vertical back-plate behind each step. Meant to keep your foot from slipping through, no doubt. On the CN geep photos I have, this plate appears to be much higher. A minor detail in N-scale i guess. Just curious if it's a difference between US and Canadian units. I assume the Kato GP9 is based on a US design.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info and links, MG.

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

Don't know if you have seen these links already but check out

All the photos I have of geeps and sw12rs's have the ladder type stairs. Might be a Canadian thing because my photos of CP Rail locos have these step types as well. Not all the geeps have spark arresters anymore and some of the sw12rs units have standard stacks as well. All the noodle paintjobs I have photographed have the yellow reflective trim. CN 7242 has the stairway boxes on the long side of the cab painted red/orange, both sides.

Reply to
J Barnstorf

nope - yup - nope. Thanx!

I guess my next question should be, how long did the GP9 high hoods survive? Were there any still around in the mid-80's?

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

a search on gp9 + CN) and this is one of the results. Date for photo is

1988. I left Lynn Lake in 1985 and there were high nose geeps serving the town at that time.
Reply to
J Barnstorf

think most on CN were rebuilt then..

I have a good write up on it somewhere around here.

Reply to
allenby

Mac -

The GP9's were all retired by 1990-1991. If you need shots of GP9s - check out

- we have over 100 shots of GP9's (before being rebuilt) online.

Regards, Gord

Reply to
Gord Hilderman

Do you mean rebuilt? They certainly are not retired.

Reply to
J Barnstorf

The first generation CN GP9's lasted to 1991 and many were retired earlier awaiting rebuilt as GP9u,s or sometime called GP9RM's

Gord

Reply to
Gord H