Best paint color for a Wilton machinist vise

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)
What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?
Reply to
Ignoramus17335
Fuchsia... That way it stands out...
Reply to
Steve W.
I'm leaning toward puce myself as paisley would be a bit difficult to do. Art
Reply to
Artemus
And the blood doesn't show.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
I like gloss white with a red pinstripe. Lots of folks are fixated on depressing gray. Some like blue. Zebra stripes might be nice. Suit yourself.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Color one of those MINE!
and the other Candy Apple Green. Make the handle Brown. No other like it.
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
What color is your bench top? Shop walls? Your shirt, pants, shoes and socks? What colors of metal or other materials will you hold in it? How about your file handles and hacksaw frame? Wouldn't want anything to clash.
Why would you care what color anyone else thinks your vise should be?
John Martin
Reply to
John Martin
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. I replicated the factory color with hammertone light blue. It is available online or thru McMaster Carr.
Bob
Reply to
bob_1fs
I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly without question. Davaite!
Jim Wilkins
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
I painted that one red:
Ignoramus9931
On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus17335 quickly quoth:
Gold, 'cuz that's what they get for them new. ;)
I've always liked light blue for vises, but Grizzly Green is AOK, too. Black has always been a respectable color for cast arn, as well.
I hate gray, but with red on top of it, I'd better not comment. (If I did, I might say that it reminds me too much of the yellow and orange taco stands in Tijuana; not my fave color combo for some reason.)
-- I wish the Department of Homeland Security knew what ol' Unca Doug did, instinctively, so many years ago:
There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity. -- General Douglas MacArthur
Reply to
Larry Jaques
That's what I ended up with, red on top of grey (grey as in cold galvanizing paint, really awesome stuff in itself).
Reply to
Ignoramus9931
Iggy sez:
"I painted that one red:
" Thass, OK, Iggy ! It's kinda obvious you like to imitate that other clown on RCM that always pictured his crap for sale with a new paint job.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
McFadden Plaid. I think you can get a can from the UK without much trouble.
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
Do you paint all your gas bottles Miller blue?
Reply to
Jim Stewart
=2E..
Nope, Lincoln red or Century caca d'oie.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
the outer slobovistan model I used for several years before investing five bucks one Saturday morning. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Only the purged 20 pound propane air pigs Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 09:37:37 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
MacStine (Of Clan Destine fame) makes an interesting camouflage paint. They're near Fifth of Forth in the lower Highlands of Scotland. Near the distillery, they are.
tschus pyotr
Dinnae ask how I kenn, or I'll be having to paint ye purple (we be all out o' green.)
-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Sounds like you've been there. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller