Paint color match for Bridgeport

Does anyone know the paint match or where to buy spray cans of the paint match for Bridgeport grey?

Reply to
Roger Paskell

No, but are enamels, etc. reproducible from a paint chip or just latex? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Having tried to get gloss paint mixed to match a (Myford) lathe in a DIY shed I would warn that the colour may only be an approximation to the sample you bring in. In my case, I had to do some significant trimming of the colour, about 5% extra white and 3% extra yellow in order to get the colour even close to the sample.

What this means is that one mighty get a colour that looks ok if you are painting the entire mill, but you'd never get a match close enough to paint over scratches.

Do Hardinge sell Bridgeport paint?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It might be worthwhile to look for a place that has a computerised color matching machine to get a tin matched up. All they need is a chip or sample to match too, and they are quite accurate. Not available everywhere, though.

FWIW the local paint guy color matched the Myford casting that I brought in to him. He did it by eye and I am pleased enough with the results.

It's not a new lathe, and I am none too concerned over the very slight mismatch. I was more interested in covering the burns from my welding the cover back together, and now have a half pint tin of enamel paint of known, matchable color should I get enthused about a makeover on my Myford at some point. Custom matched spray cans can be got, but at a price, or you might consider one of the refillable, air charged spray cans that are out there if you gotta have a spraybomb of paint for touchups.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I would go to a real paint store, not the BORG and talk to the guy there. I bet they could set you up with a nice industrial enamel that would be a dead perfect match.

I would also consider brushing rather than spray. With a little Penetrol in the mix the paint will flow out without any brush strokes, assuming of course you use a good brush and avoid dry brushing. The advantage is you get a much thicker paint film and there is not any big hassle with turning your shop into a spray booth.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

In my case, it _was_ with the so called computerised colour matching machine (Dulux). It's a lottery because they only cover about 3000 combinations and there are a lot more paint mixes than that out there.

Or maybe I'm just picky :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:15:24 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark Rand quickly quoth:

If one were picky, one wouldn't paint a nice machine ANY shade of butt-fugly GRAY!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Its a camo job so thieves will steal the pretty colored junk machines.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How close is it to the NEMA gray used for electrical boxes? That color is readily available, and doesn't go out of style.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Back in the day we would buy paint directly from Bridgeport. Went on like honey (brush) and looked as good as new.

Many manufacturers do not make a secret of their paint mixture formula. No skin off their nose. I'd suggest giving Bridgeport a call.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

And that's why I ride a pink bicycle. (:

Reply to
B.B.