pewter

I have a pewter salt shaker with the following stamped on the bottom:

102 ANT. LEAD S N

The S & N have circles around them. I believe that this means that it is an alloy of tin, lead & antimony. I this a correct interpretation? Also, I have been told that lead was no longer used in pewter after

1840. Is this true? Peter
Reply to
Peter

Peter

I can't help with your specific query regarding the "Ant. Lead" and "S N" maybe best to see if an Antiques Roadshow type affair is near you anytime for a more expert opinion.

I do make pewter tankards occasionally but with the modern pewter "Britannia metal" which for the sheet material I use is 92 - 6 -2 which is 92% Tin, 6% Antimony, and 2% Copper. Other formulations do exist as apparently Japan has a limit on the amount of Antimony allowed in vessels for food use.

Regarding your comment about lead no longer being used, it is certainly now illegal in the UK to use lead when it will come in contact with a food stuff and has been for quite some time but I couldn't be specific. A reference I have is "Metal Techniques for Craftsmen" by Oppi Untracht and that states that the new lead free pewter was developed in Sheffield UK in the 2nd half of the 18th century to improve the material in order to compete against inexpensive porcelain. The new lead free alloy being stronger and maintaining its lustre and polish longer compared to the lead containing pewter which dulled and went greyish quickly.

Reply to
David Billington