Pewter sand casting advice?

Hi Folks,

FYI, I have basic experience in casting small items with pewter in soapstone.

As my next goal, I'd like to make something like a small platter or dinner plate (maybe 12" or so in diameter to start with). I am thinking I could do this via a sand casting technique, which I have not done before, but seems straightforward, and I anticipate the materials are within my budgetary constraints...

I figure I'd make forms of 1x8 pine lumber and/or 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, maybe 20x20" or so since I'm proposing a 12" plate, get some 100 grit silica sand somewhere, and put the master plate upside down on the bottom form smooth surface with a extra lump in the middle to fill in the concave space, dust it all, then set and fill the top form on top of that.

The master dinnerplate I'm thinking of would be a plain looking item in ceramic (no fancy details or scrollwork or anything), I've got some friends who do pottery, or I might buy a nice one from a department store, like a piece of that Fiestaware stuff.

My main references are the McCreight books, while quite illustrative and easy for a newbie like me these mostly deal with smaller items like little trinkets and such.

How would folks here go about it, or maybe could suggest some references on casting peweter on the "larger" scale and/or type of items I am proposing? I'd eventually like to make bigger platters, or a simple cup or mug, or maybe candlesticks, but that would be after I get dinner plates down.

I'd plan to use either R8 or B7 pewter alloys from Ney Metals, if this makes any difference.

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
ed psycho

------------------ Lindsay Pub.

have some excellent books on sand casting.

I would make your flasks 16" x 16" x 6" DEEP to keep the sand in the flask.

Buy a 50lb bag of Petro Sand instead of trying to mix your own.

Don Warner

------------------------------

Reply to
Donald

That is still a fairly deep flask, if you are talking per side. Most of mine are made from 2x4s which gives a total flask depth (cope and drag) of 7". I use K-bond sand, an oil bonded sand which is similar to petrobond. The detail is in the grain size. Take a look at the K-bond link on this page:

For everything you ever wanted to know about sand casting, I suggest:

Ron Thompson Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

'If you're standing in a puddle, don't touch anything that hums' From the Red Green show

Reply to
Ron Thompson
[Why cast it, if what you want is a dinner plate? You can buy pewter in sheet form, already cut into a disc shape, and form it by hammering. Pewter forms quite easily. Results are likely going to be better; certainly the metal will have a smoother surface than if it was sand-cast. It will be a lot more economical and lighter too.]

Andrew Werby

Andrew Werby