Paper Punch Die Help?

A friend of mine has a business where he cuts 1" x 1.5" prints from a 11" x

14" xray sheet. Think of cutting those wallet size pictures froma big sheet of them like in grade school.

They do it by hand with scissors, and he was thinking of a punch that would "press" them out one a time and fed by hand. Only one x-ray sheet is cut at a time. He's seen my 4 ton Diacro #1 bench punch and thinks that would be a hundred times faster than what he's doing now with scissors.

Is there a better solution out there? My punch works great on sheet metal, not sure how well it would cut x-ray film.

Thanks,

George

Reply to
gglines

Two ideas here, one is a steel rule die and the second one is an off the shelf product they have to cut ID photos from Polaroid snap shots to laminate on ID cards. Look for a place that does passport photos to see what I am referring to. I suspect that this is a standard size.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger,

Many thanks. I will check into that.

George

Reply to
gglines

Can he not use a regular paper trimmer like this?

or this?

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

He could, but he wants to speed up production by cutting all 4 sides at once. The suggestion to look up photo cutters was on the money as it looks like something close to what he wants is pretty cheap.

Thanks,

George

Reply to
gglines

I assume that the 1" x 1.5" rectangle doesn't come from exactly the same place on each x-ray sheet? In which case alignment is important. One way of doing that is to make up a 'cookie cutter' out of say, a

1/2" wide strip of 1/8" thick steel, sharpened on one edge and then formed into a rectangle. This can then be placed on the proper spot on the film and held in place with a bit of tape. Then the film and template could be placed beneath a foot operated press. I don't think a hydraulic press would be necessary, and would probably be more dangerous.
Reply to
John Ings