Die and Punch Set-up Cost

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of a small die/punch set-up for
manually punching out 2" long X 1/8" wide strips from Phosphor-Bronze
sheet metal?(I want to make electrical contacts and I'm told that
Phosphor-Bronze would be the preferred material to use).
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Darren Harris
Cant help with your question, but when you do get started, remember to check the grain of the PB, especially if your contact gets formed. Bob
Reply to
KewlKiwi
What thickness of material and what kind of quantities are you talking?
Les
Reply to
Ljwebb11
You want to punch rectangular blanks out of sheet? Why not just get 1/8" wide coil stock and setup a work stop and a shear? Perhaps this creates the wrong grain direction? What are the tolerances on the part?
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
I suspect this is a standard size at Roper Whitney. You might have to modify the punch slightly, but a Bench grinder is probably all the tools you'd need. the standard rectangular punches have a centering point on the punch, and also will leave the part with a bend in the middle. If you need them straight, you can just grind the punch so it starts at one end and cuts steadily to the other end. In other words, it will have a bias across the long edge.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
I don't see how "grain" would be an issue. And tolerance should be a big deal, as long as all the contacts look the same size.
Nevertheless, I made an error when I said 1/8" of an inch wide. It should have been 2" long by 3/8" wide.
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Darren Harris
For example:
Number of pieces per run Number of pieces total Machine used to run the tool Who's going to make the tool Stock material condition Stock material size and format (roll, sheet...?) Do you have a straightener (if using coil stock)
I may have missed some issues. The more info the better.
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
The material and how many parts per tool/insert before replacement is necessary. Inspection and deburring..a very long list in addition to what you posted (well done btw)
Gunner
"The people who believe that, as a result of industrial development, life is about to become a hell, or may be one already, are guilty, at least, of sloppy pronouncements. On page 8 of Earth in the Balance, Al Gore claims that his study of the arms race gave him "a deeper appreciation for the most horrifying fact in all our lives: civilization is now capable of destroying itself." In the first place, the most horrifying fact in many of our lives is that our ex-spouse has gotten ahold of our ATM card. And civilization has always been able to destroy itself. The Greeks of ancient Athens, who had a civilization remarkable for lack of technological progress during its period of greatest knowledge and power, managed to destroy themselves just fine." -- P.J. O'Rourke, All the trouble in the world. The lighter side of famine, pestilence, destruction and death. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to
Gunner
Darren
I want to make electrical contacts and I'm told that Phosphor-Bronze would be the preferred material to use
Phosphoe-Bronze is the way to go. And I have seen lots of contacts but the contact part of contacts is typically less than 1/4" in diameter and securely fixed to the arm of the contact. I would imagine there is a vendor for just the contact and perhaps a source also for the arm or finger. But you do need to develop more information. Relay and Switch folks use a lot of contacts. I am sure they are available. I really don't know where but I would start by doing a search online. Bob AZ
Reply to
RWatson767
Shearing and punching are the same thing. Punching is not normally done in a straight line like shearing, but the action is the same.
If you don't like that idea, you can punch out a rectangular slug between each blank. More material loss, may turn out to be more accurate.
Danley IEM
Yes, you shear them (punch only one side?) and you get zero waste.
You should look into stock material configurations. You may have to buy a lot of this stuff if you want to fit it into a die set.
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.