I hate acrylic paint

I use a brush to paint my models, as I can't be bothered with all the hassle of an airbrush.

I've never been impressed with acrylics. I've tried Tamiya & Humbrol & they are rubbish with a brush. I recently tried Vallejo, after hearing so many people saying how good they are. I find them just as bad .

So, what's so good about acrylics? I've yet to find out.

DS

Reply to
Meee

Try adding a couple of drops of some wetting agent, such as Windex.

JK

Reply to
John O. Kopf

Model Master Acrylic is probably the easiest to use, although the colors aren't always accurate. I have good luck with Tamiya as long as I stir it almost constantly.

Reply to
eyeball

Well, they do dry quick. That is why I do NOT use them in airbrush. If something comes up and I don't clean the brush immediately- and I do mean IMMEDIATELY, then I have a horrific cleanup!

I do use them for brushing. But not often. I still prefer enamel for both brushing and airbrushing.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

You mean apart from the ease of cleaning, the variety available, their long life (which translates into excellent value for money), and the fact that most do indeed work very well with a brush? Hardly anything.

I have 20-year-old Humbrol acrylics (I don't know if the current Humbrol acrylic line uses the same formulation) that are still ready to use and brush very well. The same is true for the nearly-as-old Citadel acrylics that I have. More recently, I have found Life Color acrylics to also brush very nicely.

I will admit that Tamiya acrylics do not brush well over any largish area. For small details they are fine.

The "secret" (not really a secret for anyone with any painting competence at all) is to make sure that the paint is thinned appropriately. (You don't want to mix your thinners across brands, though; e.g., Tamiya thinner + Life Color =3D goop.) You also want to make sure that the surface being painted is clean, and I personally recommend a good primer as well (I like the Tamiya spray primer myself).

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

Can't stand the stuff myself - enamels or nothing. All I'll use acrylics for is tinting clear parts or doing light lenses...

...you really should hassle with an airbrush sometime - it'll up your skills and change your life...

Reply to
Rufus

just like jeebus?

Reply to
someone

...not quite, but in a really good way nonetheless...

Reply to
Rufus

brothers and sisters, since i accepted acylics into my life, my aeryoplanes have been better and stronger.

Reply to
someone

So do I, and I note that Humbrol have stopped enamels in spray cans, certainly in camouflage colours.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

The "ease of cleaning" is a mixed bag. If I get it cleaned up quickly, then it is okay, though I find that water alone is not quite good enough- I use an alcohol mix. Not that much cheaper than thinner, smell might be slightly less.

But if I wait too long, then it is HARDER to clean up than enamel. Getting dried acrylic out of a brush or airbrush is a lot of work.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

...Berna Assemblers and Testors liquid glue did it for me and mine...

Reply to
Rufus

we accept pilgrims of all faiths.

Reply to
someone

Amen.

Reply to
Rufus

a, women, too. especially if they have nice nacelles and good landing gear. why do you think they called her betty, mon?

Reply to
someone