Acrylic colours timeline

Just for curiousness, when were issued the first acrylic colours for scale modelling? I mean: I recall to have seen the first Tamiya hobby colors in 1982 or so, here in Italy, and the Gunze some years later, but when did they actually start being marketed?

Reply to
Luca Beato

eyeball

i seem to remember pollys used for rc and balsa ac in the

60's. but i thought it was dope based them. do i have old guy memory here?

Don't know how long the acrylics have been around ,but Humbrol enamels have been around for ever .I remember using them in the late 50's.In fact I still have some that would be 20 years old at least. My local shop sells Humbrol and ModelMaster enamels ,they want to get rid of the Modelmaster line, I was in there yesterday and the display is a mess ,so much so that you have to spend hours going through the rack and try to find the colours you need.There is a basket with at least 150 bottles in it all loose .I told the munchkin at the counter to tell the owner to call me and I will make an offer to buy the whole display ,so I'm waiting to see if he calls .A few years ago they sold only Tamiya acrylics and enamels ,the same thing happened and I bought out all they had for a very good price. As I left the store the munchkin and the droid that works with him proceeded to play with a football.I thought to myself it would be a good idea for them to sort the model paints instead of playing football in the shop.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I remember using Polly S flat black on a Revell F-102 in 1963.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yes, I have Humbrols that are relatively old. When did the little tins come out with that colourless plaid design behind the labelling?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Tamiya acrylics was my first encounter with acrylics of any type. This was back in the late 70s.

Acrylic paint is fast-drying paint containing pigment suspended in an acrylic polymer emulsion. Acrylic paints can be diluted with water, but become water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted (with water), the finished acrylic painting can resemble a watercolor or an oil painting.

Acrylics were first available commercially in the 1950s. The first commercially available acrylic paints were actually oil compatible.

Acrylics are sometimes used in place of watercolors because acrylics dry closer to the desired color (slightly darker, usually) while watercolors dry lighter (and often unpredictably, especially for beginning artists).

Acrylics are often used as an alternative to oil paints because acrylics dry much faster (usually within an hour or even as little as less than a minute, depending on brand and thickness of application). On the otherhand, oil paints, which consist of pigment suspended in an oil (usually linseed, or other natural oil) base, can take a very long time to dry: a few weeks or as long as several months. By use of certain products, such as those made by many of the large art companies; often termed extenders or retarders, an artist can combine the best qualities of acrylic; low toxicity, longevity and cost, with the drying time associated with oils or enamels, which makes it easier to blend two or more colours into each other. The naturally short drying time of most acrylic does not allow this to occur, but certain solvent-based acrylics as used for airbrush work, may allow the paint to remain fluid enough to permit blending via airbrush. Such mixtures of retarded acrylic or solvent-based acrylic are commonly used by those who paint model figures and by some artists who favor acrylics over oils for normal, canvas or paper painting because of their characteristics. (more)

Reply to
ppp

Unless they're acrylic lacquers or acrylic enamels... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski