Normandy Beach Sand Question

gonna think about the Dragon Omaha Beach figures. anyone done any Normandy dioramas? what stuff did you use for the sand? anything unusual about that sand, like the rough grey/black stuff on Iwo? Or will a small size bag of railroad sand do the trick.

what color is Normandy sand?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Since it's not volcanic like Iwo it is, well, uh, "sand" color. 8^) hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

well some beaches are pebbles and rocks,(parts of the California coast where I be)

just curious if there was anything unique to that beach before I go off and buy some railroad ballast...

craig

Reply to
Craig

brown, gray and biege. depends on which stretch.

Hub & Diane Plott

"Hub & Diane Plott" wrote in news:7nhKc.1978$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

And my wife thinks I'm obsessed.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Not sure if this will help, but I've done a few small desert themes, and what I did to make sand was paint Liquitex stucco gel over plaster. After drying I painted it with Humbrol beige (stock #72). Last step was to lightly drybrush some flat white over it, to highlight the coarseness. Of course you may find a much simpler way to do this with acceptable results.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Actually, most of it is crushed shells. Colour is very light eggshell, almost white, in bright sun, yellow-gray under cloudy weather, ochre- gray when wet.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

True, Dieppe is certainly like that but most of the Normandy area is traditional beach. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Perhaps you will get lucky, and that friendly gent will *indeed* send you an actual sample from Normandy. Often times, I have found that the pre- packaged model railroad stuff is far too uniform to look like it came from "nature". Try adding a bit of the "world's best model-building dirt": some sweepings from the curb along your street.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

sample to color and texture match.

Yes, I am in the USA, San Francisco Bay Area to be exact, where our beaches are covered with cigarette butts and rotting seaweed. A little bit of Omaha beach would be very much appreciated.

Craig

Reply to
Craig