Boeing B314 Question

The multiple kit copies thread got me to thinking about my B314 kits, so I dug them out. Unfortunately, this resurrected a question I've had for awhile.

I've got 2 display models, the 2 model kits, the book "Last of the Flying Clippers", plus several other books on flying boats/seaplanes and Pan Am aircraft. None of these sources seem to agree on the main color of the fuselage and wings. The black is pretty much a given as is the insignia orange on the upper wing surfaces but I just can't figure out whether the rest is silver, silver-grey, or what.

I wanted to get a clarification on this for not only the B314 kits, but I also have the Minicraft B777 Flights of Fancy kit done in the B314 markings. Plus, I have an idea for doing a car model as a "commemorative" version of the B314. I think it might look pretty cool, if I can get all the colors right.

Thanks for any help.

RLM

Reply to
RLM

At Hobby Lobby, in their "framed art" section, I saw on several occasions a large, framed photo of passengers boarding a B-314. It was a fairly sharp, close-up photo (the emphasis, after all, being on the passengers), and the finish of what could be seen (a section of the fuselge, and a small area of the wing) appeared to be a very dull metallic shade. Definitely *not* polished natural metal; but either a silver dope, or the dulled natural metal a plane would have, with such exposure to such an environment.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Given the saltwater environment they were operated in, I would expect silver dope or some similar anti-corrosion coating to have been used. Natural aluminium would corrode too quickly to be useful.

Reply to
Jessie C

I've been around natural finish aluminum planes a lot. When freshly polished, the finish is shiny. However, aluminum, at least the alloys they build aircraft skin from, oxidizes and weathers quickly. I can remember one squadron where the commmander had a polished T33. They polished that baby EVERY week. And it was kept in a hanger a lot.

I would assume those clippers were outside most of the time and hence would be pretty weathered. Pan Am kept their planes pretty clean, but polishing one of those babies (as opposed to washing them) would be a real task. And the natural finish planes I was used to were in Texas and Missouri. I'd assume that spraying them with seawater each flight would not ease the weathering problem any :-) Also, there were likely different alloys used on certain parts, which would weather to different "patinas".

Weathered aluminum is even less reflective than aluminum dope or silver paint. If I want weathered aluminum I often mix some flat aluminum with some flat medium grey.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Good point! A silver or aluminum paint would definitely hold a gloss better than natural aluminum.

Reply to
Don Stauffer