Suggestions Welcome for Titanic Kits

I was recently "commissioned", or more truthfully, cajoled into building a scale model of the Titanic for a school in Florida who needs it for a special project in January. My daughter teaches there, hmmm...think that has anything to do with the demand for my services? Anyway, I don't mind as I think it'll be fun and I have built ships in the past. However, the choice of the kit has been left up to me and I'm not familiar with any of the Titanic kits.

So, if any of my fellow modelers has had any experience with Titanics, I sure would appreciate your recommendations. Preferably a kit that won't become a disaster itself. As always, thanks.

Mike

Reply to
MGlantzMN

To really give you advice, we'll need some more information.....

What sort of "special project"?

To go at the bottom of an Aquarium? Use the Revell 1/570 kit.

To go on display? How much room do they have, and will the model be protected (i.e in a case)?

What age group are the recipients?

In most school scenarios that I can envisage, I find it unlikely that a large model, covered with expensive and fragile PE detail parts is the best solution....

There are three readily available choices for Titanic:

  1. Revell 1/570 scale, about 18 inches LOA.
  2. Revell 1/400 scale, about 26" LOA
  3. Minicraft (ex Entex) 1/350 scale, about 30" LOA

The Revell kit is the smallest, and the least detailed. It is also the least expensive, and will also be the least fragile. (How are you going to get the completed model to Florida from wherever you live?) It can be built out of the box into a decent looking model. I built one OOB, and mounted it on a nice varnished Oak base, as a donation to a school fund-raising auction. It was well received.

The Revell 1/400 scale kit looks nice. I haven't built it yet, but you can check out my in-box review here:

The Minicraft kit is the biggest, and there are a lot of detail sets for it. It can be built into a stunning model. Bear in mind that the molds were originally Entex, and the kit was later released by Minicraft. About the time of the movie hoopla, Minicraft made some revisions to the molds, correcting some of the inaccuracies of the Entex molds. So, there are old Entex, old Minicraft, and revised Minicraft kits out there. If this is going on display in an elementary school, I don't think I'd want the fragility and expense of PE railign s and other fine detail, though.

Hope this helps,

-Bill

-- Check out my USCG Model Kit list at

RC Boater

Reply to
Grandpa

In article , RC Boater writes

IIRC, there's a 1:1200 Revell which should fit in the bottom of even the smallest aquarium...

(I've put one away somewhere to paint as "Olympic" in dazzle camouflage

- when I can re-locate my source for the paint job. I probably won't bother with the structural differences, as they are part of the one- piece hull)

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

In article , RC Boater writes

I saw the Minicraft kit today, it had a list of improvements along the sides of the box (overprinted over photos of the various bits), does this indicate it is the revised kit?

Reply to
John Halliwell

Take a look at the Academy 1/600th scale kit. It's the most recent, it's beautifully moulded in a variety of colours, easy to build and it isn't that expensive.

John

Reply to
John Walker