Prices for new kits solution.....

The best way to tell a manufacturer that their prices are to high is to vote with your dollars. Dont buy the kit! And if you have the time
write them and tell them in no uncertain terms you will NOT buy their over priced kits. Jeff
treadhead wrote:

If you looked through my collection you'd find remarkably few 'new' kits. I prefer to scrounge around and wait for Squadron to lower prices below the MRSP.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
William Banaszak wrote:

With less work and less money available in the global economy generally, I am guessing that "retro-modelling" as I call it will become the next big thing. Seek out and build those awful models we didn't know how to build as a kid.
(kim)
I pick up most of mine off auction as stashes get hit by the recession. Got a Dragon 1:48 Bachem Natter kit for less than 40% retail. I have never seen so much PE in one kit :-)
Tony
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:23:34 GMT, William Banaszak

Same here, I wait for the guy who just had to buy the latest and greatest kit at full retail price. When he needs to liquidate the stash for some quick cash, then I buy.
I have just ordered a load of 1:48 kits from the Czech Republic. Very good pricing but quality will be interesting as most are short run kits from small manufacturers and others are reissues of old moulds. Quality is secondary to being able to build the a/c in the first place. I have avoided resin kits as I don't get on with CA glue very well. It strikes me that one way to get unusual and rare models is to support the manufacturers of these short run kits. The more they sell the more they would have to spend on quality control and new projects.
Tony
Fairey Battle Fw 56 Stsser Mustang F-51 PZL P.24 C. Turkish AF IMAM Ro 57 bis Bristol Bulldog Avia BH-11 Macchi MC-200
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:13:55 -0700 (PDT), Rob Gronovius

can you post some pics in the binary group? i would appreciate seeing thebattle, the pzl, the bulldog and the last two.
Will do, both as received and once built although the latter will a while. a.b.p.aviation or another group?
Tony
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 04:25:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

how about our group? alt.binaries.models.scale if you don't get that one, you choose, ok?
OK, had not been to that group before and got much pleasure on a quick browse. Thanks for the lead.
Tony
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 15:06:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

suggest you don't top post, some threads here are long and it really screws them up. post like you speak, after someone else, not on top, ok? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 18:01:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

OK. I find top posted replies easier to follow as I don't have to scroll through old stuff but will bow to the local convention.
Tony

thanks, i guess i'm slow.....
Stadia wrote:

Smer Avia BH-11? Nice kit but not hi-tech. An experienced builder can bash one into a BH-3 fighter. My Czech pen-pal sent me one about 20 years ago and it's 'almost' finished.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:34:32 GMT, William Banaszak

Yep. is a Smer kit, as are the Bulldog and the Macchi. I have seen bad press on Smer but have never seen a kit. Can't be as bad as the 1:48 Kiwi Wings/Tasman model CAC Boomerang I have in my stash. That one is probably never going to be built due to just plain crap quality.
Tony Car Christchurch New Zealand
Stadia wrote:

IIRC, I had a Tasman kit too. It was either a CAC Sabre or F-86H and 'rough' was a very apt description.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

The economy is speaking for us. Although I never understood paying $100+ for any model, anyway...
eyeball wrote:

...so...you've never built R/C, then?..
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

A long time ago the plant manager stopped by my table in the lunch room because he saw my SAM laying there in front of me. He wanted to talk planes but he was disappointed to find I built statics. He liked to build and fly R/C. He found it daring. I commented that that was a very large investment in time and money that could and often did crash. "That's the thrill of it!" he replied. And this guy was in charge of our plant. I wonder if he got as many thrills when the plant dipped.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
William Banaszak wrote:

...I'll bet he liked to play roulette, too.
I've still got all my R/C gear with the exception of a viable radio. And an unbuilt 1/5 scale Me 109G-6 to get round to.
--
- Rufus