[AIR] Opinions on Zheng/Kitech Aircraft Kits

Hi.

The KayBee stores around here are now carrying the Kitech line of 1/48th and

1/72nd scale modern aircraft.

Anybody build these yet? If so, how are they?

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

mostly 1/144 so i haven't bothered despite the cheap price.

What do they have in 1/144? Not that I need anymore.......

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Be afraid, be very afraid...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Generally these are very bad rescaled rip offs of other kits. They are buildable if you want a challenge but don't expect them to ever look great. I can't think of one of their aircraft kits I've looked at as being worth building, you'll spend more on putty and scribing tools than the kit cost.

Having said that, their quality is improving (don't ask) and they may even be tooling their own molds (rather than pantographing someones kit). Still, they are generally so horrible that if any legit manufacturer produced them they'd be ripped apart by model magazine reviewers.

If you want to buy some, ensure you don't pay more than a few dollars. They are not kits, just toys. In Australia these kits range from $4 to $11 at the bargain stores, which is still overpriced.

On the other hand, if you are into bargain kits check out Lee. Quality is variable but some of thier kits are from Hasegawa/Italeri mold (presumably licensed...). The helos and armor are quite good.

Reply to
The Raven

same opinion ! Very cheap, but a lot of work to obtain a real model and not a toy. But, it good be good for child who want to try to build his first model.

Reply to
Flying Frog

I'll admit to building a 1:48 scale Abrams M1 as a lead in to building my first real armor kit.

Insufficient roadwheels, all the tanks use the same basic chassis. Turret was one piece with nothing underneath, had to add a "floor" so you couldn't see up into the emptiness. Barrell was a complete joke. Made a crude replacement that was far better. Replaced all handhold etc with brass wire. Painted and weathered it doesn't look too bad, to an observer with no knowledge of modelling or tanks. Wouldn't bother with such a kit again...

As for the YF-22 kit.....flash, poor engraving, warped parts, far from accurate.

As for the various aircraft carriers in 1:800 scale. Nice that they included aircraft for the deck, too bad the sink marks go right through the centre of the fuselage. Looks like someone stabbed them with a giant pitchfork. Deck is warped, hull is poor, panel lines raised or poorly engraved.

Other than the Abrams, I sold the rest at swap meets. Took a while to get rid of them.....

Reply to
The Raven

not even worth building for model skills practice. make starfix look real good.