Famous model builders

I was reading a little bio on Jimmy Stewart a while ago that mentioned that according to their children, a favorite past time of Stewart and best friend
Henry Fonda was sitting down together and building model airplanes. That shouldn't come as a huge surprise given Stewart's Air Force background and degree in architecture, but for some reason it does. Maybe it's the part where they actually made a point of getting together to work on them.
Which begs the question - who are some other famous modelers and have you ever seen an example of their work? I can't think of a single one.
WmB

Lemmy from Motorhead. No, really. I wanted them to make him president of the re-vamped Airfix club. Which leads neatly on to ex-president of said club, Dick Emery, British comedian (some would say). Unless you count a magazine article from the 1980s which featured Lemmy's German bombers in the background, I haven't seen any of their work.
flak monkey wrote:

I bet Lemmy's favourite aircraft is the Heinkel He111 :-)
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Safe bet, that one.
According to an item in an early 1960's issue of Airfix Magazine, Roy Orbison was a modeller. The item reported that his UK fan club had bought him a lot of Airfix kits and presented them to him during a UK tour.
Gordon McLaughlin

WmB wrote:

How about railway (railroad) modellers?
Neil Young is part-owner of Lionel, a model railroad company. He is an enthusiastic modeller as well.
Pete Waterman (record producer for Kylie Minogue and many others) also owns a model railway company. Oh, and he owns a number of full-size locomotives as well.
Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart are all railway modellers. Rod's US layout was recently featured in a model railroad magazine.
Aircraft modellers:
Gary Numan - he also owns a Harvard.
Patrick Moore
James Doohan (Scotty in "Star Trek").
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

RR modellers - sure thing. On that count toss in Mandy Patinkin. He's a bigtime rail roader - saw a spot on him on cable a few years back.
WmB

Ditto former TransAm racer Sam Posey - he and his son are big time hands-on model railroaders and even made "Workin' on the Railroad" on the DITY Network a few years back.
Cookie Sewell
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

for a dollar a day?
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
WmB wrote:

Walt Disney built large scale operating steam trains from brass. In the movie "The Greatest Show On Earth" the train crash scene is done with two of his models.
Pat
snipped-for-privacy@daktel.com wrote:

their's some film of him riding some kids around on one he built. he has the hat and everything.
On Apr 11, 1:31am, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Makes you wonder what ever happened to his collection when he went toes up. Hopefully it's in a museum setting now.

did you google it?
Walt Disney's Carrolton Railroad (IIRC the spelling) still exists. It's occasionally on tour. Saw it a couple of years back at the Sacramento Train Museum. Some of it will most likely be in the Walt Disney Family Museum in the San Francisco Presedio. Daughter Dianne Disney Miller is building the museum, which opens in about a year.
Walt, too, had the almost full sized layout in Disneyland. He was also heavilly involved in the model shops producing models of attractions, rides, etc. Some of his attractions are models in themselves. The TWA/ Douglas Rocket To the Moon was a large scale model of the rocket. The Strombecker/Glencoe kit is a 1/72 scale model of the structure. One of the guys at the Santa Rosa IPMS meeting last night had a huge resin scale model of it, about two ft. tall with a seperate model of the lower view port complete with railing. It looked to be about 1/48 of the "real" space ship. The original Capt. Hook Pirate Ship by Revell (which I have been looking for for years) is also a 1/72 scale model of the Disneyland pirate ship structure, long gone these many years.
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

His operating steam engines were supposed to be downright fantastic; working gauges in the engineer's area and all. This led to a oddball thing....Walt Disney swung a long-term deal with Brassworker's Union that all Disney miniatures would be made of brass...so when you see the "iron" submarine "Nautilus" in "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", what you are actually seeing is a beautiful model made of brass, painted and corroded to look like iron. :-) Same goes for the spaceships in "The Black Hole".
Pat
snipped-for-privacy@daktel.com wrote:

where do you get this stuff, pat?
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

At 51 years old, and having been building models since I was around five years old, you pick up on a few things over the decades. My blessing is that I can pretty much remember anything that's occurred in my life in detail if I think about it. My curse is the same thing; I can remember every time I screwed up in my life in exactly as much detail.
Pat
snipped-for-privacy@daktel.com wrote:

yes, i have that edetic thing, too. more of a curse. then tell someone every teacher you've had and they get glassy eyed and often frightened.

oops, spelling.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Aaron? Tori?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.