Famous model builders

Lemmy from Motorhead. No, really. I wanted them to make him president of the re-vamped Airfix club. Which leads neatly on to ex-president of said club, Dick Emery, British comedian (some would say). Unless you count a magazine article from the 1980s which featured Lemmy's German bombers in the background, I haven't seen any of their work.

Reply to
flak monkey

According to an item in an early 1960's issue of Airfix Magazine, Roy Orbison was a modeller. The item reported that his UK fan club had bought him a lot of Airfix kits and presented them to him during a UK tour.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

How about railway (railroad) modellers?

Neil Young is part-owner of Lionel, a model railroad company. He is an enthusiastic modeller as well.

Pete Waterman (record producer for Kylie Minogue and many others) also owns a model railway company. Oh, and he owns a number of full-size locomotives as well.

Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart are all railway modellers. Rod's US layout was recently featured in a model railroad magazine.

Aircraft modellers:

Gary Numan - he also owns a Harvard.

Patrick Moore

James Doohan (Scotty in "Star Trek").

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I bet Lemmy's favourite aircraft is the Heinkel He111 :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

John F. Kennedy. He had a collection of ship models.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

I was reading a little bio on Jimmy Stewart a while ago that mentioned that according to their children, a favorite past time of Stewart and best friend Henry Fonda was sitting down together and building model airplanes. That shouldn't come as a huge surprise given Stewart's Air Force background and degree in architecture, but for some reason it does. Maybe it's the part where they actually made a point of getting together to work on them.

Which begs the question - who are some other famous modelers and have you ever seen an example of their work? I can't think of a single one.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Safe bet, that one.

Reply to
flak monkey

Former race car driver and automotive writer Sam Posey is not only a model rail roader but wrote a good book about it: "Playing With Trains".

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Ditto former TransAm racer Sam Posey - he and his son are big time hands-on model railroaders and even made "Workin' on the Railroad" on the DITY Network a few years back.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Mel Torme

eyeball

RR modellers - sure thing. On that count toss in Mandy Patinkin. He's a bigtime rail roader - saw a spot on him on cable a few years back.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Didn't I hear Walt Disney was one, too?

Reply to
Jack Bohn

As was Walt Disney.....

Reply to
The Old Man

for a dollar a day?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Just finished reading 1776 (McCoullough) and it mentioned that King George III was a ship-model lover.. didn't say if he was a builder or just collector.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Hmmmm... No one has mentioned Hermann Goering, who had quite a model railroad layout.

Of course, he also had a 1:1 air force to play with as well.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

i hear he hd a pretty good art collection. i really like the fact that his vemeer was a fake. he payed a lot for it and it was his favorite painting. apparenty when an allied art expert told him it was a forgery, he was more bummed than when told he would be tried for war crimes. where did you hear about model trains? i've never read that in a bio. i don't doubt you in the least, i'm just surprised that none of the so-called experts even mentioned it. i bet he had all the good marklin's and lionel rarities.

Reply to
someone

Yeh, but he couldn't play nicely with others, so he ended up breaking most of 'em.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Goedendag

I remember seeing a picture of Emerson Fitipaldi flying a fixed pixed Schlüter Huey attack helicopter. Airton Senna flew RC fixed wing. Also a picture of Mike Oldfield at home, or in his studio, with RC planes behind him.

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

14th.int. Electric Fly In
Ron van Sommeren