Barney Baxter and why I model

How many of you here are old enough to remember Barney Baxter?

Barney was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and in the Sunday funny pages Frank Miller always included an airplane that wasn't a real airplane, but something of his own design. That appealed to the artist in me and back then I drew and drew airplanes that were variations of existing ones or were my own design. I did a lot of modeling as a kid and sometimes I changed the design of a model.

Today I am 75, an artist and retired art teacher. Also, due to my wife's illness I am a house-husband. I get up at 6 and do art work until 10 or

11, then I tend to my household duties. Evenings are my hobby time.

My primary hobby is restoring pre-World War 2 radios, like the ones I listened to as a kid. I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy back in the vacuum tube days. I can do the electronics, but my joy is in restoring a beat up old cabinet. A restored radio is a more substantial product that I can give to family or friends.

However I can't give up modeling and my reasons are purely selfish. When I have the time I work on my German jet. I've changed the wing design three times and am working on the fourth rudder shape. I'll probably never finish this model and I don't care. "Oh, look what grampa made" has nothing to do with it. I don't need a model to dislay.

I need the time alone, by myself, in an activity I love that shuts out all other concerns. I love the hand work, the cutting, shaping, sanding, gluing. I love the design considerations where I try to create a design that has a Teutonic feel to it.

Anyone can say, "hey, old man, with your radios and your airplane, you must be in your second childhood" and they may be right. No matter! I am very content having my chidhood be the inspiration for my hobbies.

Do any of you care to share your personal reasons for why you model?

I put photos of my model on the binaries page.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

I'm one of those postwar Whippersnappers but one of my current hobbies is learning about the aviation comics of the war years. I'm even going about assembling a collection of airplane models, each one honoring a comics aviator character.

Baxter's Devil Cat was based largely on the Crusader light twin transport/airliner, but if I were building a model, I'd use a Fokker G4 kit and change the engines to inlines. I'm building a Polish Zubr bomber as Smilin' Jack's "Lady Halitosis", tho' a Fiat BR20 is a better match.

Sometimes people post old comic strips on the binaries forii. I often troll Xusenet in search of old comics.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce