The Handley Page Hampden - A model Airplane history

The Handley Page Hampden, kept at the Canadian Museum of Flight, shouldn't be there.
Rescued off the ocean floor after decades of submersion, it was
rebuilt over many years to a condition of fine static display. More then 1400 of these aircraft were built with the first production model flying in May 1938. Yet no other example of this aircraft exists in one piece anywhere in the world. The Hampden was a fine aircraft for its day, but its day was short lived.
The advancement in technology and design, between the wars, had altered the role of the airplane more then any government of the day realized. Designed as a fast, medium, daylight bomber with excellent range, the Hampden succeeded until it met enemy fighters.
Like a number of aircraft from this era, the Hampden was not fast enough and unable to defend itself in this new air war environment. Its role was quickly altered to coastal work: laying mines and long-range torpedo runs over the North Sea. Perhaps more importantly it now flew at night.The Hampdens role in Canadian history is significant.
In 1938 with the threat of war looming, Britain hoped to establish an alternative aircraft industry in Canada. A number of Canadian firms were brought together under the title of Canadian Associated Aircraft Ltd. The various companies built components which were transported to St. Hubert and Malton for final assembly.
It was one of the first modern airplanes built in Canada and of the 160 completed, 84 were shipped over seas to help the war effort.
References:Aviation In Canada Larry MilberryFighting Aircraft of World War II Bill Gunston Please visit the Canadian Museum of Flight's web page http://www.canadianflight.org .
Artlcie by Philip Ward of Philip Ward Models (http://www.philipwardmodels.com )
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@cirquem.com (Earl Buchan) wrote in message

"The Handley Page Hampden, kept at the Canadian Museum of Flight, shouldn't be there."
So..............why shouldn't it be there?
Add pictures here
✖
Bill wrote:

I'm a bit mystified too as to the meaning of the comment that "īt shouldn't be there".
It was only because of the efforts of a group of enthusiasts that its significance was realized and it was "rescued". In one sense, the comment could mean that, had fate not intervened, it would have rotted away on the ocean floor.
On the other hand, it could be meant to imply that the rescued Hampden should be exhibited somewhere else. If that's the case, where and why?
My kudos go to the people that found it and restored it.
Cheers,
Doc H
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DHopper8) wrote:

I took it to mean that Hampdens, being obsolete, should never have been built in Canada, and thus ought not have existed to be exhibited. Begging the question in that case .is whether this particular Hampden was Canadian-built. A real model of unclear airplane history, I'd say.
Mark Schynert
Add pictures here
✖
OI took it to mean that th ehistory of the plane was such that it only just made it... i.e. "lucky to have been created at all."
Add pictures here
✖
Rich wrote:

I take it to mean it's an ad for his website.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Add pictures here
✖
On 22 Oct 2003 12:01:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net (Bill Krasner) wrote:

I took it to mean that the airframe, by the law of averages, shouldn't exist anymore.
Add pictures here
✖

Does anyone know how the RAF Museum's Hampden restoration is proceeding? The last time I visited the bomber command hall was in some disarray, the parts of the aircraft which had been on display weren't visible, Cheers, Bill.
Add pictures here
✖