Need help for painting guided missiles

Hi all - recently I scored three older Aurora? (maybe Monogram 1:100) missile kits, the Regulus II, the Bomarc and the Rascal. Thing is, I want to paint these as if they were in front line use. Trouble is, I'm not too sure about what colors they would hev been painted. The Regulus II - I figure that it would have been painted similar to the fighters of the day, Sea Gray topside, lighter grey beneath. Any tips? The Bomarc - Some shade of medium gray overall, but again, I'm not sure. The Rascal - This one's stumping me. The only pictures I've found are the prototypes with red and white color scheme. What color would it have been painted slung under a B-52 at war? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
The Old Man

I built the Bomarc in the test (B&W) colours. In Canadian service, it was overall grey. I would say like the USN gull grey but lighter. As these were NORAD aircraft, probably the same grey as the manned interceptors. Huge RCAF roundels on the wings. There is a complete and "unrestored " Canadian Bomarc in the Canadian Aviation Museum here in Ottawa. It is in the original colours. Let me know if this is of interest. Cheers, Doc

Reply to
Doc Hopper

Here's what I could dig up from my files quickly.

Regulus II - This was never used operationally as it was canceled just before this was to occur, The 58 Regulus missiles were either used in the test program and as target drones after the program was canceled. Any operational colors would be speculative.

Bomarc - The limited operational time spent in the US service saw these as primarily ADC gray with white or off-white warheads. The booster ramjets were primarily bare metal. I built my kit in the operational Canadian markings which kept to pretty much the same colors. Tango Papa scaled these decals for me to fit the Revell Bomarc kit.

Rascal - Not sure of this one as I have the kit, but haven't started the research for the markings/color yet.

I like to build missile & rocket kits and also try to get the >Hi all - recently I scored three older Aurora? (maybe Monogram 1:100)

Reply to
Mike J. Idacavage

I would think the rascal would be painted similar to the B-52 carrying it. Bare metal or SEA camo like a Hound Dog if slung under the wings. If in the bomb bay, gray, like the Quail decoys.

The Old Man wrote:

Reply to
frank