We Need a Scale Model Museum

OK, lets face it, we have a problem. When all of us old guys croak, what's gonna happen to all those award winning models we have accumulated. We need a museum to give this stuff to so the rest of the world can appreciate our efforts. Someone needs to twist the arm of a Senator or Congressman for some $$$$ for our museum. Maybe it sould be a new wing of the Smithsonian...a really big wing would be needed to hold all of our collective stuff!!!! I can close my eyes and envision it now. Seperate wings for the different catagories of modeling. Maybe the smell of warm styrene and a little model airplane glue could be pumped in. This would be an awsome pork barrel project (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Didn't someone come up with this concept some years back (about 10)? There was even a request for old paints, glue tubes and some of the original models in any condition - to be restored - box tops and anything related to the hobby. I don't remember who started it, but if my memory does not fail me again, he was from one of the upper tier states.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Years ago a fellow modeler who scratch built every aircraft the USAF had since day one, had planned to donate his collection to the USAF Museum. The museum said they would accept the donation but it had to be accompanied by a means to display it. Given the size of his collection that would require a number of display cases, some of the aircraft (all were 1:72) are very large and require a great deal of space. I never learned where his collection ended up, but many museums have similar policies and do not have budget allowances to maintain a collection should something happen to it as time goes by. I am holding several models which have been donated to a local museum that is currently building a new facility, again once the building is complete, the funds to purchase or acquire display cases through donations has to be done. This could take a great deal of time. Another problem museums run into is not all models are 'display quality' and end up being disposed of. I have been asked on several occasions to be the advisor of what is good and what gets tossed. It is hard enough throwing a model someone else felt proud of, but it is harder on the family members when they learn it was destroyed instead of displayed. Museums have those who are donating items sign a property release so situations like these don't end up in legal channels. If you feel you want to donate your models to a good home, which may include schools, museums or businesses who showcase models in their facilities, contact me I receive frequent requests for such displays.

Gerald

Hawkeye

Actually this is what BB rifles are for. Remember how we disposed of our old kits?

I recently purchased a Crosman BB rifle for the sole purpose of being prepared when some of my kits need to be put down. Just line those puppies along the top of the fence and make a day of it.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

OH NO....this is just....wrong....cc

Reply to
cc

I don't think the bb gun works for me. I probably wouldn't bother to build anything if I knew that was the end result. Anthing I finish I keep and try to display. I would rather scrap them or part them out if they don't meet my satisfaction.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

For flying models the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) built such a museum when they built their new headquarters. AMA is flying model equivalent of IPMS. If I remember the campaign, they did it with no government money but lots of donations from members and from industry.

They do have some of the partially built kits, supplies, finished models, etc.

I think they are bigger buck organization than IPMS, higher dues (most of that for insurance for flying model liability), but I would still say IPMS is the organization to chase and champion such an idea.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Why wait for your death? And why go through the trouble to set up a museum? Why not "share your talents" *now*? Those who compete/exhibit in the MFCA and/or AMPS style shows...are no strangers to parting with their creations. "Historical miniature collectors" frequent these shows on a regular basis, buying pieces. And these guys are "big wigs", so the stuff in their collections *does* get seen. The great miniature shop "The Red Lancers" has a collection to drool over, as does VLS's "Miniature World". And to add to it...the artist gets paid for his talents. A top-caliber artist modeler has been known to get over $1000.00 for a finished aircraft or AFV model, or even that much for a painted, stock 54mm figure.

I have never understood why, at IPMS shows, there is so little selling of completed pieces...

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I'm going to build all of mine and charge admission to my house.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

"Count DeMoney" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

All things consiered, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use a small wing? Perhaps 1/32 the size of the other wings?

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

I think you have a good point Greg. Even shows like 4H at county fairs provide the means to sell the "prize winners" at their shows. Although I do not belong to IPMS, I think it would be a great idea to have a display area for completed projects that are available for purchase.

There are many highly skilled people (me not included) who have beautiful work either boxed, or on shelves in places where no one sees them. It would be good for the hobby to see them on display for everyone to enjoy. It would probably also be good for the hobby. Perhaps the manufacturers of the kits would help funding a museum. After all, they would all benefit from the kit sales that it would likely inspire.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Well...there is no need to bother setting up a "means" for the individual to sell his/her work. The shows I mentioned usually just expect one to stick a small colored "sticky dot" (provided) upon the model's base, or on the entry card next to the model, denoting that it is for sale. It is then just left up to the modeler/artist and the prospective buyer, to work things out between themselves.

An even greater idea, is one which is common in the figure shows: "The Grand Auction". Modelers/artists will donate a completed piece to the auction. There will usually be a 20 or so completed pieces up for bids... kindly donated by some of the best artists in the hobby. And the proceeds go towards the funding for future shows, by the host club, or agreed-upon others. For example, the annual "Chicago Show " auction, usually raises money in "the five digit" range.

Show announcement: The annual Chicago Show is

*this* upcoming weekend.

If you can go...DO SO!

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@mmsichicago.com/show_2006_info.html

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

As a former member of each organization, I can attest that AMA has ALWAYS been run much better than IPMS USA...as least as long as I was associated with each of them.

Verlinden had such a museum in St Charles, MO...but it closed and I don't know where it went.

Then I believe there is one in Salt Lake City, UT that is strictly for model cars...wanted to donate a friend's built-ups after he died...

A quick Google search on "model car museum" returned 11,900,000 hits..."model airplane museum" returned the same number.

"model tank museum" returned 2,740,000 hits...so the armor guys are winning after all...

Reply to
Rufus

I think this guy's beat you to it...

Rufus

I've donated built models to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. One was part of a group build heralding the acquisition of the Champlin collection of aircraft by MoF. We build a bunch of models of the aircraft that were coming. My 1/48th scale Aviatik Berg D.I displayed in the museum.

As part of another project, of which only a couple of us were included, I built a 1/72nd (Academy with resin interior) P-51 Mustang for the Tuskegee Airmen exhibit. It's also on display now.

Related to the Tuskegee Airmen exhibit, as part of that, I was invited to their gala event and I met several of them. I built a 1/48th scale Eduard P-39 Airocobra and gave it to Bill Holloman. It was out of the box but a good general build, and Bill was thrilled to have it.

I've never sold a model, but have given away several. Never a regret.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Another idea, that has been put to practical use:

The basic goal behind what you have originally proposed, is to "spread the wealth" about modeling, and introducing

*new* people to the hobby, who might otherwise never enter it on their own. One thing the figure groups do, which really enables the "general public" to become closer to the hobby... is "the raffle". A noted modeler/artist will donate a finished piece, to be raffled off during a show. Tickets are no more than the usual $1.00ea or 6/$5.00, etc. The proceeds, of course, go to the host club...but the winner of the raffle (more often than not, a non-participant at the event), gets to take home an actual work of art. This person shows his friends, who are also amazed at the quality of this "miniature artistry". And new blood into the hobby is often the result.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Maybe we could get Sikorsky to fund it.........>:0

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I should mention that there is a model car museum out in Utah.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

where? i go through there a lot.

Greg, that is an excellent idea! I think we will use it in Townsville next year. Thanks mate.

Reply to
Bob