Q1

Has anyone seen it yet? I cant wait any longer........

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote

I saw a pre-production sample at Wakedield Show this weekend, but will reserve judgement until I'm able to have one in my hands to compare with prototype pictures.

There was lots of (very) fragile detail on the one I saw, which didn't seem to be capable of withstanding a lot of handling.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, I saw them for sale on Saturday, so you shouldn't have long to wait.

Regards,

Stuart.

Reply to
S.M. Jenkins

Richard

Reply to
Richard Davies

Wow! Nice looking model. If ever there was a loco that could tempt me into to modelling UK prototype, this would be it.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Richard Davies" replied to

Come on Richard, at least have the courage to tell everyone that you work for Hattons.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Doesn't everyone know that?

Reply to
MartinS

Chacun a son gout. I wouldn't have an ugly brute like that on my layout!

Reply to
MartinS

Martin, maybe my French is rusty but I hope your gout gets better - and please keep it off your layout! [your bit with the gout] :-)

I think it is quite a handsome beast and would love to hear if anyone could provide a case for including it on a 60s Northwest-based layout!

Best regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy Stephenson

Well, opinions about appearance are obviously very subjective, but the Q1s always appealed to me they were ugly brutes! They were a welcome change from the squillions of dainty, if not downright effeminate looking little 0-6-0s that were the norm in the UK.

If you were to give an industrial designer a brief to design a macho looking steam engine, this is what you'd probably get!

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Andy Stephenson

Your case could run along the lines of "It's my layout and I'll run what I want!"

My layout is 30s/50s LMS/LMR, yet it occasionally runs a selection of Bulleid pacifics and an N Class. Guess what other Southern inteloper will be joining them soon?! :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Via the S&D of course, eh Enzo?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

The message from "Andy Stephenson" contains these words:

Have you got a scrapyard on your layout...?

Reply to
David Jackson

John Turner wrote in >Message-id:

Maybe why he hasn't owned up is that one of the Hattons staff told me Hornby rang Hattons last week to say that the "Ark Royal" was on its way so the boss ordered a load of aeroplanes......;-)

Tommy

---------- Tommy

Tommy

I doubt that they got any nearer to the North West than cross-London transfer freights to locations such as Willesden or Cricklewood. Of course, you could always run an imaginary railtour with one....

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

Just picked mine up. Absolutely superb, straight out of the box it crawls along really smoothly and quietly. I will run it in tonight and do some load testing on it.

Detail is very good, Cab is nice, pipe work picked out looks good. screw coupling is a nice touch, not sure how strong it will be for double heading? careful handling will be needed as the pipes look frail, so do the steps for that. 9/10 as a model, so far!

Now to fit a smoke unit and spray it black, dirty black!

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" <

Spray paint and weather? Yes. Do that to _everything_ on the model railway.

Smoke unit? Never. Unrealistic, they're all toy like and the "smoke" is oily and will effect the track's cleanliness. But each to his own.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comeoffit (Tommy ) contains these words:

Battle of Britain SpamCans, or certain GW Castles, perhaps?

Reply to
David Jackson

"piemanlarger" wrote

Hi Si,

I was wondering if they were not a little narrow across the front, would you like to compare your model with this photograph

and pass comment.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Trouble is John, I dont know what the measurment front is supposed to be! But, I guess it does look narrow on the model! Still at least it works so it can retreive any failed 45xx it comes across!!!

Reply to
piemanlarger