On Topic ......... Is bigger better

After getting back into this hobby I have, over the last couple of years, been building about 1 kit per month on average. I've done a variety of things, with the object of getting my skill level back up to snuff. That being said, I am looking at 2008 as building bigger / more complex projects but far fewer. Here is what I am looking at for

2008:

Lindberg Concord Stagecoach Monogram 1/48 B-17G ..... The visible version and the regular version at the same time Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri

I have researched the B-17G build and have accumulated lots of aftermarket stuff (Resin, PE, etc) and walk around photos. I've done the same with the Missouri. The Stagecoach will be an adventure. I just bought the Andrea Press book on painting horses. It looks like it will be lots of help.

I wonder what everyone's opinion is of concentrating on just a few complicated builds vs the "one per month" type of build? Do you get bored / frustrated with the slower output or will I find the finished / more complex project more rewarding?

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Multiple choice:

A) My girlfriend says it is. :-) B) My ex-girlfriend said it was :-(

Seriously, I think there's room for both approaches. The issue you cite seems to be sharpening your skills. IMHO, that requires a combination of repetition and challenge. Take that Mighty Mo. You'll get drilled on repetition by having to complete the multitude of carbon copy gun mounts and fittings, while you'll get the challenge to your skills in building complex sub assemblies, and ultimately assembling those into a complex final assemly where you have to bring everything together and make it work.

Likewise you can break up the two prong attack of practice and perfection between kits. That one plodding "master build" if you will, surrounded by several smaller projects with lesser degrees of difficulty, but by virtue of their number, providing a good deal of repetition.

The dangers being of course:

1) the more challenging the build or degree of perfection we're pursuing, the more likely build will progress slowly, often times to the point of discouragement

and 2) the more kits in the works, the higher the likelihood that the builder can get overwhelmed by the shear numbers.

We all work differently so the trick is in finding the right mix and adapting to the changing rhythms. 1 kit, 10 kits. An hour or two here and there, or go like hell all day when you can and when you feel like it.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

i always have at least a dozen kits going. if i need one to be finished for my piece of mind, i have a quicky. your one monther. then i have some longer time builds, some very long builds and at least one that will need me to be almost immortal. i work on whichever fits my needs at the moment. i can crank out one of the previously mentioned lindberg 1/72 kits in a weekend. if i spend a month on it, it will be hyper detailed. oob takes about 1/2 per kit. the idea of doing one kit at a time is.....disturbing.

Reply to
someone

I spent about five years building a plank on frame ship model a few years back.........talk about building one model to the exclusion of everything else............jim

Reply to
jimbol51

It's really all up to you and what you want to accomplish...if you're finishing a kit a month, that better than I've done since I was a teenager.

Me, I like big, complex models. But that's just me.

Reply to
Rufus

yep, the big ones can be enticing.

been waiting for this repop for ages and ages. just pre ordered the Tamiya 16001 Honda CB750 Four, 1/6 scale... will most likely gather dust with my 1/96 Constitution and 1/35 Leopold, but what the hell.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

As far as the actual size of the finished model, the small ones certainly are easier to display than the big ones if you have any number of them. They are also far easier to transport, and you generally don't have to go to a psychologist if one gets destroyed somehow. The large ones seem to be prone to damage more than the small ones. Of course, it's probably possible to spend six months and several hundred dollars building a superduperdetailed cutaway Bf-109 in 1/72 scale, and then be charged with cruelty to animals when the dog eats it...and you decide it's time to do a cutaway version of the dog also. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

For me it's the 1/12 scale Lola T-70 from Tamiya. I missed it the last time around, I won't if it comes around again. Built one as a teen.

Reply to
Rufus

I mix and match. I frequently do a scratch or major conversion project. But I take breaks when doing it to build an easier kit as OOB. Helps retain my sanity. There is no reason to go to either extreme exclusively.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

LOL...

Got one of those sitting in the cupboard.. Trouble is I'm scared to build it !

One day...

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

Currently doing a "What if". Highly recommended. No real research needed, not subject to the "accuracy police", markings are what I say they are. I'll get back to a few "seriious" projects right away and the contract stuff always takes priority, but in the meantime it's back to fun modeling.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

ok, we won't double check the rivet count on your T-Rex kit...

Craig

Reply to
aikidogal

I wonder if they'll smooth out the skin on the Lindberg visible T-Rex? On the stock Jurassic Park version it was awfully scaly, and that may hinder seeing inside of it due to distortion. A combo version with one half opaque and scaly so it could be painted, and the other half transparent and smooth to show the interior would be fun. One interesting note; the stock JP T-Rex is 9 inches high, the visible one is listed as 14 inches high, so I wonder if there is some sort of base under it labeling the internal organs.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery