So what is the well informed modeller researching/building these days?

Right now I'm reading Rick Atkinson's "Army at Dawn" which tells the tale of the US Army's WWII baptism of fire in North Africa. Highly recommended. I'll probably follow that with Google scouring Cookie's reviews to help cobble together a short list of the most interesting (and available) kits appropriate to the North African Campaign between 11/42 to 5/43, Torch to Tunis.

So what'cha reading/researching/building?

WmB

P.S. Personal wish list for next Christmas - Vichy and Italian armor kits, Arab and French Colonial figures and accouterments.

Reply to
WmB

I just laid out a hefty etch order for the Eduard sets for my 1/72 GATO, and a Special Hobbies 1/32 X-15.

...and I'm trying to get back to my sidelined 1/72 Type VII project, but I seem keep heading south to guitar stores instead.

Reply to
Rufus

I've pretty much finished the research (though I'd like to see more on hatch cranes) for a 1:500 Edward L Ryerson, the prettiest Great Lakes bulk carrier (ore boat) ever. Hull is done, and doing hatch covers now. Just starting on superstructure/upper decks. Using Tom's Modelworks PE railings and ladders.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I have been doing a lot of research of the B-17G. I have the 1/48 Visible version on order with Hobbylinc. In anticipation of that kit's new release, I have also bought a bunch of PE and Resin unpgades. I am planning to build the visible version and the regular version side by side, at the same time. I spent time at the Pima museum last year and took about 200 digital photos so I have lots of reference. I have several books and walk arounds to help with this project as well. I hope to start this project by early spring. That Christmas gift (big Lindberg Concord Stagecoach) will come first).

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Reply to
eyeball

I do not know about the "well informed" part, but a P-61 is next.

Reply to
Andrew M

" WmB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Got my hobby table set up again, after the incident on Oct 5 when my neighbor ran his Jeep Cherokee into our hour and seriously upset my modeling schedule.

To get back into the swing of things, I'm doing a Fokker D VII in 1/48 by SMER. Everything I need: flash, sinkholes (looks like the pilot and the radiator took cannon shells), ejection pin marks, thick, badly- fitting parts. And vague directions.

Dressed up as Offsty. Wilhelm Kuhne's mount with decals from Super Scale International (48-478) -- mostly because it's the only one without the lozenge camo (which SMER seems to expect the modeler to paint by hand).

Oh, and labeling my paint bottles. I keep them in a box, see, and had to pull them out one by one until I found the right one. So I got 1/4" stickers and write the code number, the paint color, and "A" for acrylic or "E" for enamel. 'Twill make life a bit easier.

Now, to find "vermilion"...

Reply to
CortxVortx

That is still one of the oddest modeling stories I've ever heard. :-D

This isn't some Aurora re-issue, is it?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

A copy of the old Aurora kit. Artiplast or somebody copied several of the WWI subjects and those moulds are still knocking around Europe.

My tale of woe isn't quite as spectacular but the hobby table has been out of service since June because of a flood from above. I do believe when we get the repairs sorted out the table will be moved out from under the bathroom area. Fortunately nothing was lost but a lot had been hurriedly moved around the basement and I'm still tracking down tools and such.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Now I'm getting this image of a floor entirely covered in decals. :-) I live in a apartment building, and one night there was this terrible crash from next door. The roof had sprung a leak, the water had come down into the attic over several days as it rained and started soaking into the insulation, and the crash was the entire ceiling of my neighbor's bathroom collapsing, thank God with no one in it at the time. My sister managed to top even that; she lives in a huge old house that has a live-in attic, a second floor, a first floor, a basement, and a sunken sub-basement to keep wine, vegetables, and preserves in. One of her kids had a waterbed up in his room in the attic, and it shorted out so that the heater element fused down to the plastic of the mattress. She went to change the sheets, the bag ruptured, and all that water made its way, step by step, into the sub-basement - passing down through her bedroom and the living room on its way.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

=== Hope you took some pics of the accident, could make a pretty good diorama.

Ray ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

That's brilliant, it would make a great diorama! And you could have the model on the workbench being built be a tiny Jeep Cherokee...in a diorama of one hitting a house...in which it destroys a model-builder's workbench...on which he was working on a diorama of ...guess what? All it needs is Twilight Zone music. :-D

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

Oh, it couldn't be Aurora -- the pilot figure isn't a head-and-shoulders molded into the fuselage halves, a la their Spitfire.

:)

-- CV

Reply to
CortxVortx

Not this time! If I learned nothing else from the washer hot water hose bursting whilst filling 15 years ago I did remember to keep decals safely in their Tupperware containers. Whew.

I feel for her. In a situation like that you need to be everywhere at once and the water will beat you every time. I can praise all that insulation tacked up between the rafters in the basement for channeling the water away from the workbench. It did get heart-in-mouth close to the magazine rack, though. That's what I got for organising the mags the day before. ;]

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

No connection, really, between the two, but reading Bradley's "Flyboys" at the moment and working on the Czech Models XP-55. I think I've got her to the painting stage now. Found some good online ref shots from the Kalamzoo Air Zoo's aircraft and a guy on HS sent me a couple photos he took. May have to order some paint, tho. I'm out of Modelmaster and Xtracolor OD and Neutral Gray. Have some Humbrol that I was thinking about using, but IMHO they're WAY to dark. Some in progress pics here:

Don McIntyre

And Me-09, Zero, FW-190, Cougar, Panther, "Mig-19", and God knows how many others. Actually, their WW I kits were fairly well thought of.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery