OT-What's happening with the Segway these days?

I haven't heard too much about the Segway human xporter these days, save for Dubya falling off one, its major recall last fall, and some recent comments in the financial press about the company's failing to raise much more capital with a secondary stock issue or something like that.

When I first heard about the Segway I immediately agreed with the guy who deemed it "The answer to the question nobody asked."

I thought about whether I'd want to trust my now somewhat brittle bones to a Segway or to one of the many currently available little foldable two wheel electric scooters and decided that if I was inclined to stop using my two feet on the sidewalk a scooter would make more sense. It'd cost a far less money and be much easier to pick up and store when needed.

Did I miss something? I don't know anyone who's used a Segway. Has anyone here? If you have, what were your overall impresions?

If I were filled from my toes to my navel with Milk of Magnesia, and from there to the top of my head with Ex-Lax, I think I'd sooner trust a fart than a ride on a Segway.

Just my .02

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A friend of mine owns one and let me ride it a couple of months ago. He wouldn't let me go very fast and about my only reaction was that it's sorta fun. Not as much fun as a 500cc+ motorcycle though. Very easy to ride, just a little tricky to mount the first time. But not as tricky as say a horse.

He's going to sell it. It seems that there's not much use for it. He can't take it into buildings except his, he still gets wet if it rains and he can't carry much on it.

To me, the most interesting story is that Segways are getting some use by disabled people. It turns out that there is a class of disabled that can stand and balance, but not walk any distance. They really like the Segway because it gets them out of a wheelchair and up to eye contact of others. The irony is that the Segway is not FDA approved and these people can't bring their Segways into the same facilities that people with wheelchairs can.

Reply to
Jim Stewart
< snipped >

Had a recent story here local about how Mickey Mouse land won't let any body on their property with one, disabled or not. I think Dean Kamin under estimated the power of a liability lawyer.

Regards

Jim Vrzal Holiday,FL

Reply to
Mawdeeb

CHeck the aviation soaring group, someone wants to know how much glider it would pull on the ground instead of a golf cart. I can almost smell the burning motor.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Odd sight..... On another group someone was asking for advice on towing with his Segway. Wonder if the manufacturer has set towing weight limits - or if they offer an optional towing package?!

Reply to
Leon McAtee

My grandaughters current boyfrieds father, (WOW) has one but I havent seen it. I was looking a some pictures in daughters computer and saw it.

Now there is a set of conditions. :-)

...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I haven't heard much about it lately either but I noticed an ad in Sunday's Pep Boys' flyer for their idea of a cheaper alternative that I thought was kind of funny:

:-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Ah Ha! another soaring enthusiast. Are you a pilot ? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

It does look inherently safer than the Segway.

Careful reading of the ad kind of makes me wonder what those asterisks after the speed and range numbers referred to...

A. 75 lb maximum weight rider?

B. Minimum 15% downhill grade?

C. 125 mph tailwind?

d. All of the above?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Except for that face-to-the-ground sudden stop feature and the tailwind and incline problem you mentioned. :-) The Segway supposedly handles those problems pretty well... 'til the battery gets a bit low. :-D

It lists max weight capacity as 350 lbs. Not too bad.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Keith Marshall

Segway makes an industrial model which can tow a small trailer. I think it is the programming, rather than the horsepower or gearing that makes it into a tow vehicle. I know the tow capacity of the regular model is zero -- they say don't do it. Whether a standard model could be reprogrammed into an industrial version, I don't know.

-- --Pete "Peter W. Meek"

Peter W. Meek