More on the Segway

"How Things Work" has a video and some pretty detailed text about what's inside the Segways. Here:

Jeff (Who still regards the Segway as the answer to the question nobody asked...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Other than being a bit nifty from a technology perspective, the only benefit I see to a Segway is that it's a bit more practical to take on public transit than a conventional bicycle.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hmm, will walking go out of style? Maybe each newborn will be given a Segway, and never need to learn to walk.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Hmmm, wonder what changes Zagar and Evans would make to their sole hit, 'In the Year 2525' if they were to update it today? Maybe just have to revise the dates....

"In the year fifty five fifty five your arms are hangin' limp at your side

Your legs got nothin' to do some machines doin' that for you."

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

ROFL (showing our age.....)

Reply to
Newshound

Guess you never rode a rough trail on one. The path along the river behind their plant is as hard on the ankles as cross-country skiing.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's what Mad Magazine said about scooters back in the 1960s. They predicted that legs would become vestigial

Reply to
Rex

They're bulky, though. Best use I've seen is for a guy who would otherwise be in a wheelchair, due to a few abbreviated limbs. Pretty impressive how manouverable it is; his wheels are larger than stock and I think he said it's "geared" differently (but I'm pretty sure it's direct drive from the motor).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The school I work for has about 8 or 10 of them campus wide. 1 is in our department. The campus is about 1 mile on each of the 4 sides, so we have a lot of ground to cover. The staff that uses our Segway, is almost fully estimators that need to carry very little equipment, but do sometime need to be across campus quickly. The tech's seldom use the Segway, because we need to carry tools and supplies. The other options, for both groups, are electric GEM carts (which I drive daily and love) and small trucks (toyota) and vans (various makes). The segway fills in as a communal use light duty transport. Its strength is that its maneuverable, fairly fast, easy to use and just plain fun. The maint cost has been far lower then the Gem carts and the trucks etc. And its a blast to ride. Ours is the off road version, as we have some folks that are big and tall!!!! In our setting, a campus, the Segway is a perfect fit!!!!!!!!!

bob >

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Here is a web site from a guy that built his own segway clone:

He gives pretty good detail on it - probably enough to duplicate.

Bob

Reply to
BobH

"Bob in Phx" wrote in news:g9EMi.5931$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.phx:

I was down at the Franklin Institute in Philly for the King Tut exibit and noticed that a bunch of guards were running around the building on Segways. Talked to one guard who said they use them alot and had just gotten a bunch of new ones, I asked her if anyone had tried them down the stairs yet and was told that she hadn't seen anyone do that 'yet' but they do race them around on slow afternoons.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

So basically the expensive Segway is replacing a simple bicycle in functionality at a great increase in cost and a reduction in exercise. Sounds like a wonderful innovation. It of course wouldn't be trendy, but perhaps you should investigate the pedal tricycles I've seen used in many large factories. They are low cost, low maintenance, "green", give modest exercise and have nice sized cargo baskets that easily carry most tools.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ditto that for the "Tech Museum" in San Jose, when we visited there last month.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Oct 3, 8:37 am, Bill wrote: ... I asked her if anyone had tried them down the stairs yet and

There are stairs in the factory test track but only the craziest engineers ride on them. The fixed-handle model has a powered stairway assist mode that lets you climb stairs dismounted, like pushing a reel- type lawnmower.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

This is a great thing for the human spirit. Security guards *need* things like racing Segways and climbing stairs with them on off hours. It's their little version of hitting golfballs on the moon.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The GEM carts are fun to drive, but they are really junk. We have a dead one in the garage that I'm tempted to hoist on top of a conex, since the POS battery charger needs to be replaced at an exorbitant cost.

Reply to
ATP*

While waiting to meet SWMBO at Detroit Metro airport in June '06, I observed one of the security staff taking a shortcut and carrying his segway down a flight of stairs. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

They have 4 wheel versions that are nice. I want one of those.

Something like a 4-wheeler used in forest and ranch/farm/hunting...

I'd love one to fetch the mail. That is 400 feet from the house.

Mart> Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Pete, the bike thing has been tried time and time again. It doesn't work. But what does work is the fact most of the students and staff ride some sort of thing in from the parking lots, early in the mornings. Some skateboards, some push scooters, some bikes....etc...

Now I don't know if you have ever lived in phoenix AZ, but it gets bloody hot here, so getting from air conditioned building to air conditioned building, without working up such a sweat that no one would like to be in the same room with you , is not easy. Thus the segway. Or the gem carts if you have to move tools and supplies around (I keep about

350 pounds of stuff in the locked cabinet on the back of my Gem) The Segway and or Gems, get us from point A to point B quickly, reliability, safely and they are fun. So, Bottom line is that trendy does not enter into it. and I don't appreciate that comment or the tone of your other comments... Have a nice day......

Reply to
Bob in Phx

I'll note that all the items you mentioned are human powered.

I'm in Texas, and it gets hot here too, perhaps with a little more humidity. I don't find it to be an issue getting from building to building or parking lot to building.

Trendy sure does enter into it, the trend away from routine exercise which is a big contributor to the obesity issues in the US. If the trend keeps up we'll end up a country of "power chair" users who can barely get on and off the dang things. Considering how recent the Segway is, they sure aren't essential and people have survived the conditions you indicate just fine for decades.

Reply to
Pete C.