Brushless and not dusty (brushless DC motors)

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....
Louis Ohland wrote:

Check out electric scooter and bicycle apps.
Jim Stewart wrote:

Saw some of them, 24v or so. Anything in the 90v class?
Louis Ohland wrote:

Just for completeness, I was searching for BLDC, and found the Sieg Super X3 uses a 1HP BLDC motor. But if you look at the schematics / part list, they show it as being a 230V motor. Hmm, wonder if they boosted the AC with a multiplier, then rectified it (PWM?).
Louis Ohland wrote:

You may want to look by power output in watts -- it seems to me I've seen "1kW" brushless motors, but no "1.4HP" ones.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

look up "astro flight" in california. They make some pretty serious cobalt magnet motors, brushed and brushless.
There's another US maker of high performance motors on the east coast, the name slips my mind, but they clearly sell motors and gearboxes for RC airplanes.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Wow. Astro 3220 Brushless Motor 4kW to 6kW http://www.astroflight.com/store/pdffiles/3220.pdf
Windings are available for operation from 24 volts DC to 144 Volts DC 8 turns 96 volts 47 amps 750 in oz 7,500 rpm 5.6 Hp 90%

Assuming you're looking for something moderately priced and don't need a low inertia, high performance motor, look at MCG and the Panasonic A Series.
Bodine and Oriental Motor have a few choices as well, but I don't believe anything as large as what you're looking for.
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/appliance_motors_servo.htm http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/products/brushless-motors
Do you need an encoder, or just the commutation feedback?
--
Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons wrote:

Bodine tops out about 1/2Hp.
Commutation? Does this apply to brushless?

BLDC motors are essentially 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous motors. The most common drive scheme uses Hall sensors in the motor to tell the drive the relative position between the motor's windings and rotor. The drive responds appropriately to run the motor at the commanded speed.
--
Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons wrote:

Minas As top out at 400W/100V, they do have a 750W/200V though...
Model# MA34236 http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/products/integrated/MA34236/overview
Erk, they don't really ID the AC vs DC motors too well. They do have some 590W 80vdc rated motors...
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:55:19 -0500, the renowned Louis Ohland

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.
http://www.baldor.com/products/servomotors/dc_servomotor/dc_brushless.asp
You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and electronically.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Wow, Bodine has a 115ac drive that puts out 320vdc.
Model vac PH HP kW vdc Adc BMC6A04 115 1 1 0.75 320 4.0
http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/FL1210_Web.pdf
Thanks to everyone that helped me get over the man-thing of over-built... I don't see any brushless DC surplus, and their retail price for 1HP is about the same as brushed DC.
I can't see a markedly superior performance of BLDC to PMDC.
Louis Ohland wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:30:25 -0500, the renowned Louis Ohland

Sure, 2 caps and a bridge rectifier and you've got ~300VDC, just like in a pee-cee supply.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany