Answering - "How to Form Patina on Brass"

For some whacky reason the answer I posted to the OP (twice) never made it to this newsgroup or to the crossposted rec.crafts.jewelry. So, here's what I was trying to say to the OP:

Norm Dresner wrote:

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or do I need to purchase a specialty chemical? > > TIA > Norm

I use a chemical sold as "Liver of Sulphur" by some jewelry supply and crafts shops.

Works great for me.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I received an exquisitely detailed explanation from the moderator of rec.crafts.jewelry explaining why my initial reply to an rcm post was delayed because it was also crossposted to the newsgroup he moderates (rcj).

It seemed counterintuitive to me that crossposts to non-moderated newsgroups should get delayed, but here in part is his explanation:

*****

If any newsgroup, anywhere in the crosspost list (the newsgroups header listing of groups the post goes to) is a moderated group, the post goes FIRST to the moderator of that group. News servers do not seperate postings into separate posts. Rather, they send a posting out on the newsfeeds where any newsgroup on the list will pick up the post and display it, along with the entire original newsgroups listing intact in it's headers.

In order to minimize the chances of misconfigured news servers from posting a message that's not been approved, or perhaps just because the whole setup of newsgroups is almost as old as the internet itself and therefor just not a sophisticated protocol, messages don't propogate at all until they are determined appropriate for all the groups on the list. That means the moderator of the moderated group has to repost the thing with an approval header if it is to appear in all the groups including the moderated one.

*****

Live and learn....Computers do what we tell them to do, which is not always what we'd want them to do.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Actually you can approve your own post to a moderated group.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

When a USENET server transfers articles to its peers, the ones receiving it look at the message, and if one of the newsgroups is moderated, and does NOT have an "Approved: " header, then that article is mailed to the moderator. Otherwise, it's posted.

Either it's published right away, or it's not.

If you sent two DIFFERENT messages (one to this newsgroup and one to rcj) then one would be published, and one would be forwarded. And the readers or both forums would see the "same" message twice and yell at you for posting twice.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol