Patina on brass

SWMBO showed up with new curtain rods with solid brass supports in an antique brass finish. The supplied screws are too short. Bought some suitable 12 x 2-1/2" brass screws. But the bright brass shows up like a sore thumb against the dark finish on the supports. Any quick and dirty chemical oxidizing I can do? Fall back is to smear some darker wood stain on in and punt.

Reply to
RoyJ

--Sounds gross, but heat 'em up and piss on them. I've seen this done by sculptors (gack!) to get that 'aged' look on bronzes.

Reply to
steamer

Actually, that was the original method of gun finishing. If you go to a gun shop they should have a concoction sold by Birchwood Casey that will turn brass. Years ago, I used livers of sulfur in water to darken silver. May work on brass as well. I also wonder is throwing some sulfur in an old pot with the screws and heating it up to get sulfur vapors might do the same thing?

Reply to
Gerry

"Gerry" wrote: I also wonder is throwing some

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If all you want to do is get rid of the bright polished look, I would expect you could do this by just heating the screws and letting them cool.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Wire brush the head of the screw, then use a candle to smoke blacken the brass. Now gently re-brush to lighten. When you have obtained the right color, brush a coat of clear nail polish to seal.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RoyJ