Patina for brass - ? dry in sawdust versus vacuum

I have Richard Hughes Patina book, and many formulae require the drying to proceed in sawdust over a period of time.

Is there any data / opinions on drying the solid brass objects in a vacuum chamber (I couls add a little sawdust to support the piece while in the chamber).

Reply to
Robert Salasidis

Can't answer the question directly, but tripped over what might be useful to someone... Picked up a rock tumbler at a yard sale. Put a bunch of brass parts (crib pegs) in it, with some clam/oyster shells / sand from the beach and set it turning.

What came out was NOT polished cribbage pegs, but very nicely patinated ones. And not just a surface coloring, but a nice, durable and authentic finish. Previously had tried commercial preparations, human-generated ammoniated liquids, and several recipes from books such as Hughes (which has some lovely coloring options - look for chemsavers on ebay for KMnO4 etc...)

/mark

Robert Salasidis wrote:

Reply to
Mark

Mark

Good innovation. I assume you ran it wet not dry.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill