Rodents making home in GENERATOR CONTROL BOX

Something happened and my Onan DJE generator does not run. Specifically, it starts, but as soon as I release the starter, it stops. (I test it at least once a month).

An investigation showed that there is no voltage at a terminal to the holding coil of the fuel shutoff solenoid (this terminal is supplied through the NC OFF switch and safety relays to make sure that the generator can be turned off manually or if safety conditions are violated).

If I connect this terminal to +12VDC, the generator happily runs, but this is obviously wrong as it bypasses safeties and the off switch.

When I opened the control box, I found a lot of stuff suggesting that it became a rodent nest. It was completely completely full of "bedding". I had to vacuum it all out.

So, at this point I will have to find the wire that they damaged and replace it.

What I want to hear is how can I prevent them from setting home in the generator again.

Ignoramus6620

Aluminum window screen over openings and vents usually works fine.

Reply to
Pete C.

throw the generator away, then it's not a problem anymore.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them from setting home in the generator again. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A rag soaked in cat urine?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass insulation into the control box.

Ignoramus6620

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be available to harm other wildlife.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

Ignoramus6620

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're furnishing it with bedding as well???

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Ignoramus6620

*Hint* - Keep them OUT of the control box... and the windings too.
Reply to
Pete C.

Rodents nest in fiberglass insulation all the time. You need to keep the rodents out of the space, and aluminum window screen works well for sealing the vent openings.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus6620 fired this volley in news:w4mdnazsnodzDJ_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They must seek water to make the poison work. They generally will die elsewhere.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Pete, yes, I actually like your screening suggestion, but the holes are placed such that it is very hard to screen them.

Ignoramus6620

"Pete C." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

Hell! I cleaned out a nest they'd built from 6061 turnings!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It is very nice. Then poison seems to be the best answer so far. I will try to fit screening also, I am not sure if I can.

Ignoramus6620

Then screen (I prefer 1/8" hardware cloth to window screen) every opening larger than 1/8" in either direction on the place the generator lives. If need be, build the generator a cage. Meanwhile, buy a dozen snap traps with the large plastic trigger and set them around the generator - I don't even bother with bait (and thus, don't attract anything new into the space with the scent of food). Clean them out and reset daily.

Couldn't hurt to invite the local cats around as well, but that only works for stupid mice or patient cats.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I think you'll find that rodents don't mind it at all. In fact, they make nice little nests in it.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Reply to
RoyJ

It's probably easier than you think. You can cut a patch of the screen a bit oversized, and fasten it to the outside of the particular enclosure with 5 minute epoxy if need be.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cydrome, when did you become a troll?

Chris