Caution with Optimus stoves

This subject made me think of an experience I've had a couple of times with an Optimus stove I would like to pass along: I've done some backpacking in the Sierras, often travelling as high as 12,000 feet in elevation, but it wasn't until years later that I realized how these scary incidents occurred. I would usually fill up my stove with gas at home (sea level) and drive to the trailhead, usually at 8-9,000 feet, then hike a few hours and eventually make camp. Assuming there was no pressure in the stove, I would pump it vigorously for a minute or so and light it. Soon after, the stove would burst into flames, terrifying me and fellow campers. Lacking any suitable materials for smothering the flames, since practically everything laying around was nylon camping gear, we would usually follow one of two courses of action: 1) Run or 2) Pick up the flaming stove and throw it in the direction of the nearest patch of rocks and dirt. After the crisis, and after imagining the fun of one of us having to carry the other burn victim down the mountain, we would start from scratch with the stove and it would work fine. It took years to realize that what must have happened was this: The elevation gain of 10,000 feet from driving and hiking must have pressurized the full stove quite a bit, then I added more pressure by pumping, and liquid white gas instead of vapor came out and flowed all over the stove in flames. This phemenon may be well-known in the backpacking community, but I had never heard of it. Does that sound like a plausible explanation? I still have the stove, and it works fine. The plastic part are a little melted, though. Gary Hastings

Reply to
GaryH82012

Yes. More than one private pilot has had his sphincter tightened by the sound of a bag of chips exploding. Same reason.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've never had that problem with my Coleman stove. Must be some particular problem with the Optimus stoves. I'll note that I'll pump till I get a certain level of pressure in the tank and then light the stove. If you blindly just pump for a while, you can get an overpressure that will push too much gas out (the cold start position puts liquid gas out rather than vapor) and you will indeed get a flooded stove. I've only done 7000' with my stove in a few hour period and, as I recall, it was at a fairly good pressure at the altitude and started quite nicely. I'll note that the Coleman stoves tend to not burn properly until the excess gas is burned out of the vaporizing chamber or what ever that little boxy shape is.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

That's better than loosened.

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Does that sound like a plausible explanation? I

To answer your question, I don't think the elevation change was the principal cause of your problem. An elevation increase of 10,000 feet would have "added" less than 5 psi of "additional" pressure (more specifically it should be called "differential" pressure.) That's not much compared to the pressure you'd normally build up with the usual number of pump strokes.

I think you just got a bit careless when lighting that stove and let too much liquid fuel out. (Maybe the stove was overfilled at home?)

Since I don't store air pressure vs. altitude numbers in my head anymore, I had a look at my Federal tax dollars at work and moved the little airplane with my mouse at:

Actually, I think that NASA site is quite well done.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia